PDA

View Full Version : Of 2200

Rick Fisher
10-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Does anyone here own a Festool OF2200 Router ?

It seems like something that should be strapped to a router table.. Yet all the videos show someone using it like a smaller router..

Is it too heavy ?

Love to hear from someone who owns one, or at least has run one ..

Also curious how it does on 15 amp circuits.. 2200 watts .. that is about 19 amps ?

Mike Cutler
10-25-2012, 1:29 AM
Rick

I actually bought one about 6 weeks ago, believe it or not, on clearance.
It is a big router, physically, and very powerful, but is very well balanced and the ergonomics are outstanding. Everything you need is located by either of your hands. It is very well thought out and precisely made. It replaced a PC-8529 that was beating the snot out of my hands. The OF 2200 is very smooth and very easy to control.I put the exact same bit in the OF 2200 that was in the PC 8529 and finished the exact same work I was doing, so I can tell you that it is hands down leaps beyond MY PC 8529's, and they are not crappy routers by any stretch.
It has an odd shaped base though. Kinda three sided and the side are not equidistant from the centerline of the bit so you have to pay attention to the reference side you chose in certain situations. I know I want the offset base because it can get a little tippy close to the edge with the stock out of the box base.
I have not popped a breaker with it by itself,and I was plunging 2" into padauk, and pattern cutting 1 1/4" thick cutouts i the same padauk. But the combination of the router plugged into the auto receptacle on my Fein vacuum caused the breaker to trip once when both were running. Both were on a 15 amp breaker.
It's a soft start,and there is a little unnerving noise on start up due to the ratcheting pawls, but once you get used to the noise you just kind of put it in the background.
My personal opinion is that it would be a shame to lose the functionality of this router by mounting it in a table, unless it could quickly be removed.It is very much designed to be used freehanded

My only knock is that a router that cost as much as this should have both standard Collets included. It only comes with a 1/2" collet. The 1/4" collet is another $40+ dollars. It does have a nice collet wrench included. Not a cheesey one.

Rick Fisher
10-25-2012, 2:07 AM
Thanks Mike.

I have watched a few videos on it .. it seems to be Festool's best designed router .. its got the ratchet collet of the 1400.. The dust shroud that snaps into place seems brilliant as well . .
The thing that turn me off are the cost, and the sheer mass of the beast. Soft start sounds like a good idea .. my 7518 kicks like a mule.. its pretty much in the router lift all the time ..

Does the size of it bother you at all ?

I plan on having a new shop in the future and could easily put in 20 amp circuits.. even 30 amp x 110 .. What the heck .. but it doesn't sound like it uses all of those 2200 watts..

Mike Cutler
10-25-2012, 4:19 AM
Rick

It took me a day or so to get used to the size. I think because I was anticipating it would be awkward due to it's size/weight,and kept trying to brace myself for it getting out of control. It never does though, and I relaxed and just sort of let it do it's thing. I know this sounds like a an ad slogan but this thing really just kind of floats across the work piece, very stable. But it is heavy, no doubts there.;)
I wasn't actually looking to buy a router the day I got it. I went in for a 2" spiral bit to work on the padauk table I was building and my wife found it on clearance. Woodcraft was able to discount it because the case design is changing, so it was about $125.00 US off the usual price. Still alot of $$$$, but I figured if I didn't like it I could probably get my $$$ back via private sale. The price is pretty steep, I can't argue that.
The only way I can justify the cost to myself is that most of my projects always seem to be "BIG", and I do use routers frequently in my projects.
We are currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel, so I'm doing alot with it, and it definitely made easy work of 1 1/2" thick Limbert style Trestle ends. Thankfully that is done,and now it's onto the cabinet faces.

I'm wondering if the amperage isn't a little "Madison Avenue License". Kind of like Rigid's 6.5HP Vacuums that run on 120vac.

joseph f merz
10-27-2012, 12:33 AM
A tool repairman told me it has three as many bearigs .Anyhow he was saying he is replacing bearings in those big portacables constantly .Figures for production shops this would be a smart purchase .I now appreciate my 1400 alot more,the 1400 he said has two bearings top and in the bottom .

Ralph Butts
10-27-2012, 6:32 PM
Rick I purchased a OF2200 used (demo I was told) about 8 months ago. I purchased it to replace a PC7518. I have never considered mounting the 2200 on a table so I cant comment on that. However I was told that the bearings in the 2200 are respomsible for a lot of the selling price. I found the 2200 to be a very smooth machine. There is just no comparison with my 7518 so to CL it went. It is a beast in your hands make no mistake about that. As a matter of fact I find myself reaching for my 1400 more often and honestly I am not sure why. Maybe a preconceived notion of size. It's a very well built machine but it is clearly not for everyone. My garage shop has only has 20 amp outlets so I have never attempted to run it on a 15 amp circuit. I would not imagine that to be a problem with the soft start feature.
The ergonomics are probably what I like the most about the tool. Everything is at your fingertips and comfortably laid out.

Scot Ferraro
10-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I think that the OF2200 is one of the best power tools ever made. It is an engineering marvel and worth every penny in my opinion. As others have stated, the controls and ergonomics are great and it is super smooth...you can swing panel raising bits hand-held. While heavy, it is so well balanced that it is does not seem that way. It is my favorite power tool. Festool has a reconditioned sale going on right now and you can pick one up for 10% off while they last or buy a new one and you have 30 days to try it and decide if it is right for you and if not, you can return it no questions asked -- do not think that applies to the recon tools, though.

Scot

Rick Fisher
10-28-2012, 2:05 AM
I have a few Festool products. I know there are nay sayers, but I believe they are by far the finest tool made in each class. I have Festool Routers, in doing some reading, it appears that the OF2200 is the newest model ? Might be the 700 ..

I have the 1400 .. Its a great router, by far the nicest router I have used or own in its size, but it won't turn a very large bit .. The hole and dust collection is set up to limit bit diameter.

Glenn Ancona
10-28-2012, 9:28 AM
Rick

We are HEAVILY invested in the festool line but the 2200 was not one I enjoyed and actually sent back. At that price I better love it - You can do the same if you dont like it ? With 10k + in Festool product I didnt have a problem with returning anything thats not enjoyable or makes my work easier. Maybe enough other people feel the same - could be why they are having a reconditiond sale on them ? The 1400 is our pick of all the routers we have.
Base seemed to be very small for a router that size - it is a large machine and three sided as mentioned. The dust collection was not as I imagined as a utube video on solid surface would have you believe- DC does work on straight runs with small bits but large bits and inside corners - forget it, the shroud wont fit. We do a lot of template work so a symetrical base is a must in router of that size. Need to be able to turn a corner and keep the same offset to the fence. At $800 I picked up two 3 1/2 hp PC units before they moved the manufacturing to mexico for large work that dont get to the shaper. We set up each machine with dedicated bits.
I was not looking at a router that big for plunging however, let us know what you think?

Glenn

Scot Ferraro
10-28-2012, 1:30 PM
Rick

We are HEAVILY invested in the festool line but the 2200 was not one I enjoyed and actually sent back. At that price I better love it - You can do the same if you dont like it ? With 10k + in Festool product I didnt have a problem with returning anything thats not enjoyable or makes my work easier. Maybe enough other people feel the same - could be why they are having a reconditiond sale on them ? The 1400 is our pick of all the routers we have.
Base seemed to be very small for a router that size - it is a large machine and three sided as mentioned. The dust collection was not as I imagined as a utube video on solid surface would have you believe- DC does work on straight runs with small bits but large bits and inside corners - forget it, the shroud wont fit. We do a lot of template work so a symetrical base is a must in router of that size. Need to be able to turn a corner and keep the same offset to the fence. At $800 I picked up two 3 1/2 hp PC units before they moved the manufacturing to mexico for large work that dont get to the shaper. We set up each machine with dedicated bits.
I was not looking at a router that big for plunging however, let us know what you think?

Glenn

That is why they have the 30 day guarantee and it is great that you got to take advantage of it. I find the DC to be excellent for all sizes of bits, but I mostly work wood and not solid surface so maybe that is a difference. The snap in bases are great and you can change the base to one for templates or small bits or one that is larger for more support when routing edges, which I think is great. It certainly is not for everyone as Glenn mentioned, but for me I would run out and buy another one if something happened to mine.

Scot

Rick Fisher
10-28-2012, 6:42 PM
The funny thing about being the premium product is that you have to be premium..

I have 6 x Festool tools and use all of them but I haven't bought the Kapex because I don't like the 30mm arbor .. and I won't buy their Vac's because I think they are too loud ..

I do have all three of the other routers and really enjoy all of them ..

I have a project coming up which is going to be raised panel wainscot .. I think the plan is to use 5/8" MDF cut in squares and rout or shape the panel on all 4 sides.. I picture myself routing all that MDF .. The mess will be unbelievable .. My 1400 won't swing the cutter .. I could do it on the router table but again, it will be messy ..

Erik Christensen
10-29-2012, 6:07 PM
I have had my OF2200 for about a year. I like it a lot. Yes it is heavy but that is only a negative when you are carrying it; NOT when using it. In use the mass is good because it keeps things stable when using a large bit - I keep the bases clean & waxed and have never noticed any increase in effort to move the tool when cutting as compared to other routers. There are some tasks it is clearly not suited for - like trimming edge banding - but for tasks such as putting table edge round-over on a slab too big to muscle though the shaper it is the cat's meow.

I also love the quick change bases - I bought the base kit with the router and inlays are a snap when you can change bushings in 5 seconds and have everything on the router unchanged.

Keith Hankins
10-29-2012, 9:18 PM
Well, I'll start by saying I own a lot of Green machines and I'mean a lot. Love them all. However in this case the OF2200 was not one I decided to put in the stable. Not because of any perceived misgivings. I've handled it extensively at my local woodcraft and I own the 1400 and love it. The reason is basically if I need that much oomph I rely on the PC7518 in a router table. At the cost of that machine I just could not see it. For every effort that is hand held the 1400 has worked well or the PC D-handle which in some cases I prefer just because some applications are better that way. If you need some big hp then I'd go with the 7518 in a table and use the 1400 for everything else if you had to have only two. Me I'me up to (well lets just say quite a few now). Like i said I've paid a lot for most of my festools but at 825 retail I think it's just nuts. Just my opinion.

Chris Parks
10-30-2012, 12:44 AM
I find the DC to be excellent for all sizes of bits, but I mostly work wood and not solid surface so maybe that is a difference.

No, he said that the bit was too large to use inside the shroud, nothing to do with the material at all. The product is excellent but there is no need to gloss over a fault that a user has found.