PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I think I am ready to build something....

Justin Jump
10-24-2012, 9:06 PM
After a year of planning, @ two years of weekends and vacations, my workshop is finally complete, well, I guess they are never really complete, but I am ready to start building....

I didnt really plan on being a "poster child" for Ridgid, but with an Outlet Store near my house where I got everything for 30% off, I couldnt pass up the price, a little over $1400 for everything.

I have a bunch of material left over from the construction of the workshop, so my first task is to build an outfeed/assembly table around the table saw. I have been contemplating the size of the outfeed though, Im thinking 30" to the left of the saw for addition work area, and a full 48" behind the saw, any suggestions here are welcomed.

Just a few comments on the workshop, and a thanks to all that answered along the way - some of which I got just from studying newer and older posts, but it all helped.

- After reading a few comments, the bathroom was an afterthought. I had planned the slop sink, and it wasnt that much more to add the toilet. Yeah, it eats up a bit of floor space, but I'll be honest, with 2 kids and dog, it's now my hideout when I gotta go!

- Not shown in the pics, and some may be thinking, are the compressor and dust collector. They will be below the workshop in the garage. I want to give it @ a year and see where all the machines end up layout wise, then my dust collection drops will go down through the floor, in the garage below, there will be a 6" main trunk with branches to pick up the machines, and a floor sweep.

Again - thanks to all that helped along the way.

Table Saw alignment is scheduled for Saturday, and hopefully I'll be cutting by the afternoon!!

JJ in Pittsburgh

Justin Jump
10-24-2012, 9:08 PM
Just a pic of the outside, workshop on top!!

Jaromir Svoboda
10-24-2012, 9:21 PM
Looking good.

scott spencer
10-25-2012, 6:51 AM
Hey...you've got the makings for a great shop there! Looks too much like a Ridgid commercial though....gotta diversify a little! :D

Grizzly has a real nice shop layout tool (http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx) that you might find useful.

Carl Beckett
10-25-2012, 7:11 AM
I think it rocks! With two kids and a dog, Im not quite sure how you managed to keep such a beautiful space from becoming a play room... but I digress.

A great space to start building things!

Andy Fox
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Nice shop there!

It looks like your planer outfeed might need to be re-directed. ;)

eugene thomas
10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice shop. All that is missing is the dust.

Bill McDermott
10-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Justin, That's a great spot - I dare say that it is the playroom.

All that virgin wall space is like a blank canvas. I read about the french cleat idea and employed it in my new shop. You can run it around before the walls get cluttered up. Paint it to match the white trim. Then you can hang all manner of things in all sorts of places... and very easily move things around as the story unfolds.

I bought a bunch of 2'x4' handy panels and hang them on the cleats as needed. That lets me "nail things to the wall", without any angst. With your beautiful shop, it might allow you to move in and build out with less deliberation and more experimentation.

Great space. Enjoy.

David Nelson1
10-26-2012, 8:58 AM
Very nice. Wished I had the time to complete mine before I needed it. LOL

Carl Beckett
10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
It looks like your planer outfeed might need to be re-directed. ;)

lol - I thought maybe that is why he so carefully designed a window into that spot...... such planning!

Glenn Kotnik
10-26-2012, 3:15 PM
Good work! What did use for flooring? Does it hold up to machines being moved around on it?

Sam Layton
10-26-2012, 7:33 PM
Justin,

That is a great looking shop. It really turned out nice. As for as your out feed table for your tablesaw, I made mine long enough where I could rip a sheet of plywood and it would not fall off the back of the table. I think your bathroom was a good idea. I wish I would have built one.

Great job, Sam

Joe A Faulkner
10-26-2012, 7:54 PM
Justin, Congratulations on the shop. It looks great. Given that you plan to house your permanent DC below the shop, you really owe to yourself to check out
Alan Schaffter's set up: check out his video tour at http://videos.americanwoodworker.com/video/Automatic-Dust-Collection

Regarding the outfeed table, you might consider designing it to serve tripple duty - outfeed table, down draft sanding station, and assembly table. I'd definitely go 5' or even 6' in length. I'd probably keep the depth to 30" and build a small clamp on extension that I'd use for supporting material when ripping long stock or sheet goods. I just don't rip that much stuff over 7' long, so in my case having 30" from the back of the table saw to the back of the outfeed table is generally adequate, and when it isn't, I simply clamp on simple extension, but if you have room for a four foot wide outfeed table, go for it.

Justin Jump
10-27-2012, 8:44 AM
Thanks all.....

Yeah - the outfeed on the planer might have to be reconsidered!!

I read on here somewhere whre someone had a post of "what would you add", and I read someones post about the bathroom. Yeah - it doesnt have its own sink, but its a Workshop, you can make it to the slop sink to wash the hands.

As for all the commenst about a Playroom - well, the wife really wanted that. Even though she knew the Addition was for a workshop, one it was done, it was "empty" for a couple months, and we did use for both the kids birthday parties, and it was actually nice keeping all those kids in one sopt - however, it's even nicer to have my own workshop, I can live with cleaning up the house after the kids!!

@ Glenn - really cheap laminate, I believe I got it for $0.59 sq/ft, and yes, it is very slippery, especially once the dust gets on it. Once I get the rubber mats down - I think it will be OK.

Again - thanks all!!

Jeff Monson
10-27-2012, 2:04 PM
Beutiful shop Justin, make sure to send in a couple photos to Rigid, that shop should be on their cover!