PDA

View Full Version : what is causing this????

TAMI WILSON
10-24-2012, 7:00 PM
When I cut through wood I got from colorado heirloom i am seeing this.. I have a honeycomb table....what am i doing wrong??

Scott Shepherd
10-24-2012, 7:52 PM
I'd say too much heat. You're getting a fire on the underside of the wood and it's shaped like the honeycomb because that's containing the little fire. You want your settings so it "just" gets through, not so it blows through.

So either more speed or less power. Pick one. Also, make sure your PPI/Hz is set low for wood (1000 or so is a place to start). You'll have to experiment with what works best, but looks like you haven't found the sweet spot for that material yet. It takes time.

Vicki Rivrud
10-24-2012, 7:55 PM
Hi TAMI,
Looks like backlash flame/ flareup from the honeycomb to me. Try lifting the wood up off of the honeycomb. Check to see if you honeycomb is dirty or clogged with wood residue or glues, saps etc.

I use golf tees to lift it up and perhaps lower your power.

Hope that helps,
Vicki

Scott Shepherd
10-24-2012, 8:11 PM
Also make sure your air assist is ON.

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2012, 9:00 PM
If none of those work, apply transfer tape to both sides and mist the bottom with water just before placing into the laser.
Another possibility is two passes at a faster speed.

Michael Hunter
10-25-2012, 6:07 AM
Go for Joe's transfer (masking) tape.

As well as protecting the wood from heat/fire in the honeycomb cells, it will stop the "tick" marks where the laser beam reflects up off the metal of the honeycomb itself.

Mike Null
10-25-2012, 8:41 AM
Tami

I think everybody has made a good suggestion but most likely my guess is too much power, not using air assist or having air assist properly adjusted and finally is your blower quickly exhausting all the smoke from your cutting?

I rarely use transfer tape but often use two passes to get a clean cut. The clean cut is more important than speed to me.

john banks
10-25-2012, 12:19 PM
How thick is the wood?

On our Chinese machine (which is probably like telling you how to drive your Ferrari based on how I drive my GTR ;) and would therefore land you in a ditch) we find that long focal length lenses, knife blade table, cone extension and air assist from a big noisy compressor deliver the goods without transfer tape. Honeycomb, 2" lens, small compressor and no cone extension give a charred mess which can be partly mitigated by transfer tape.

Frank Corker
10-25-2012, 5:49 PM
I'm with Steve. Too much heat. I also think it is the pulses per inch, they should be greatly reduced, right down the scale from what you would use for continuous cutting of acrylic.

walter hofmann
10-26-2012, 6:04 AM
Hi there
is this picture shows the upper side then your air assit blows it out and needs to be adjusted. I use on top of the honey comb a piece of 1/2 grid like chicken wire and have no probleme anymore.
greetings
walt