PDA

View Full Version : SOFA Again...

David DeCristoforo
10-24-2012, 5:48 PM
Last year the John Natsoulas Gallery took a few of my pieces to SOFA. Several of the "amphora" pieces sold so this year they are taking a bunch of them. This has been kind of a crappy year in respect to having much time to turn at all and an ever crappier one in terms of selling. So I am hoping that SOFA will be where some stuff finally gets sold. If anyone is planning to go, I would love to get some pics of the display. John was kind of ambivalent last year but this time he is putting a lot more effort into making sure that they get displayed properly and seems to be much more committed to promoting them. Fingers crossed!

Roger Chandler
10-24-2012, 8:19 PM
Congrats on the inclusion in the event David........best wishes for a good result!

Eric Gourieux
10-24-2012, 9:09 PM
DD,
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SOFA? Based on the quality of your work, I'm sure it's a great honor, but I have not heard of it.

Jamie Donaldson
10-24-2012, 9:28 PM
I'll be there David, and just happen to be taking a camera!

Richard Coers
10-24-2012, 9:56 PM
Might want to check the rules Jamie and David.

From the SOFA Chicago web site;

Photography is not permitted. Cameras must be checked at coat check for a fee.
Backpacks, large purses, bulky coats and oversized personal items must be checked at coat check for a fee.
Children under the age of 12 are free with an adult. Stroller entrance to the show is regulated by security depending on crowd size.

Jon Nuckles
10-24-2012, 10:56 PM
The rules about photography are largely unenforced in this age of cell phone cameras. I ask the people manning the booth, but most people don't even do that.

David DeCristoforo
10-24-2012, 11:05 PM
"I'll be there David, and just happen to be taking a camera!"

It would be great to have a few pics if it's possible.....

"...Might want to check the rules..."

Killjoy.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is SOFA?

It's an acronym for Sculptural Objects and Functional Art. SOFA is one of the biggest venues for this type of work and I am thrilled to be represented there. Here's their site link...

http://www.sofaexpo.com

Kathy Marshall
10-25-2012, 1:18 AM
Congrats David!
I hope this results in a big check for you!

Richard Coers
10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
The rules about photography are largely unenforced in this age of cell phone cameras. I ask the people manning the booth, but most people don't even do that.

I agree that they are largely unenforced, but I consider it professional courtesy.

Jamie Donaldson
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the head's up Richard. I was wondering about any regulations but was not going to check until closer to departure day next week. So should I pack my ASMP press pass or my sneaky pete camera? :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
10-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Congrats on going to SOFA again this year! Very happy to see you get the recognition for your work!! Best of luck with your sales! Hope the exposure brings you some high-end commission work as well!

David DeCristoforo
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
"So should I pack my ASMP press pass or my sneaky pete camera?"

How about this little gem (http://www.stungunmikes.com/neck-tie-covert-color-camera.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19744701425&utm_content=pla) from "Stun Gun Mike's Security Depot"?

You don't even need to know how to tie a knot with this baby! But I don't think it comes with a suit...

charlie knighton
10-25-2012, 7:38 PM
congratulations, David, good luck

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-25-2012, 8:34 PM
I've attended Sofa for several years & I may attend this year as well. They do say NO CAMERAS or Videos Allowed. That said I've seen many people there taking pictures with cell phones.
Good Luck David, If I do go this year I'll make it a point to look for your work.

Bob Bergstrom
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
I've been in attending for three years. I've seen every camera from a cell phone to big SLRs. The camera rule seem to be only on paper. I've seen local art students with their instructors taking pictures at will.

Richard Coers
11-03-2012, 11:18 PM
I saw your work today David, very nice to see them in person. They had them back in the corner, but very visible. No red dots that I could see, shucks!

Bob Bergstrom
11-04-2012, 9:01 AM
I was looking for Double D's pieces but missed seeing them. Took 3 hrs. To walk through the galleries. There was a lot of glass. They had two large silver vases (18" high and 12" across) that were priced at $118,000 and $119,000. A lady was looking at a necklace at $60,000. There were some nice wood pieces ,but just an abundance of glass work. Binh Poh had his own booth with both wood and glass. Collectors of wood art gallery was nice. I enjoyed seeing such diverse use of color form.