PDA

View Full Version : Importing Auto Cad

Mark Powell
04-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Hello all,
I have been experiencing trouble with importing A/C drawings into corel.
1) The text in A/C seems to grow considerably when imported
2) On some of the vector lines my laser goes back and forth numerous times on the same line but the ofending line is only single when viewed in corel.
3) After completing the rastering and changing to vector, some text was cut out but no outline apeared in the corel view.

Prior to importing I explode the A/C drawing but the text will not explode.
My equipment and software is as follows:
Epilog Mini 35W
Corel Draw V12
Auto Cad 2002

I have tried to send the job directly from A/C to the laser but have had no success here either :confused:

In case it is not allready plain as day I am still wearing my probationary plates whilst operating my equipment and I hope some people out there can help:o

Regards

Mark (Perth Western Australia)
assetengraving@optusnet.com.au

Jerry Allen
04-19-2005, 1:27 PM
Mark,
When importing AutoCad into Draw 12, make sure to check the box in the Import dialog that says "Reduce nodes". It should remain that way for subsequent imports.

I have trouble with text being imported from AC also. I use MicroCadam Helix, which I export to .dxf or .dwg. I have the same problem when importing text into Helix. IGES does a better job than .dxf for text parameters.
Therefore, because of the problem, and the fact that Corel has more sophisticated text handling, I just use the vectors from the drafting platform and do the text in Draw because it's easier to control.

When you import your file, break it up if it is grouped, then select everything, and right click on the black color pallette swatch. Also you might assign a hairline to everything also just to make sure there are not hidden lines. You can always reverse these moves or re-import.
Even though you use reduce nodes as I mentioned above, I have still found that it is possible to get lines on top of lines when cutting because there are multiple nodes at the end of a line. I do not know what causes this and it only happens occasionally. Something in the import function I would imagine. Say there is a square in vector for instance, you might see that it cuts 3 sides correctly but repeats on one side 5 times. If you break up the square and start pulling nodes at the end of the line that cuts multiple times you can delete the extra ones. If you don't use "Reduce nodes" this will happen all over the drawing. If you do use it, the incidents of that happening are reduced dramatically.

Roy Brewer
04-21-2005, 1:43 AM
Mark,

We all have similar problems when importing from aCAD. I have two tips that under certain circumstances will be helpful.

First, I get much better aCAD text import from Corel 11 than 12; seems like 12 puts all text in Paragraph text whereas previous corel filters brought it in as artistic text. [more than one have said there is a switch that toggles between the two, but I have not been able to find it--if someone has, please apprise]

Second, use the new Shaping command "Simplify" on the segments/objects that have vectors stacked on top of vectors.

FWIW, forum member Bruce Larson determined that these multiple line segments are a problem of aCAD, not CorelDRAW.

Lastly, Epilog has a document (may be in your manual?) on how to set up aACAD for output to your laser --- have you used those settings?

Mark Powell
04-21-2005, 9:42 AM
Thanks for the info gents. I have been playing around with it and found the text in auto cad was scaled at 0.5 and the import comes in at 100%.
On closer examination of the cad drawing I found duplicate lines in a few places which does'nt help.
The cad drawing was supplied by a client for quotation purposes and he has told me he will re-work it now that we have been awarded the job. Here's hoping!

Thanks again

Mark