PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Rod gloat!

Scott Hackler
10-24-2012, 2:33 PM
Pete Blair had a thread showing us all some plastic rods that he was making into finials. In that thread he meantioned an offer to "share" some of the rods. I took him up on the offer and received a box in the mail, today. What I was surprized to find is that Pete sent me a box FULL of the rods! Wowie. I really was only expecting a single small piece.

Thanks again Pete, I look forward to trying it out.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2012, 2:48 PM
Congrats!! Have fun turning them!!

James Combs
10-25-2012, 8:56 PM
What Scott said.;):D I also took advantage of Pete's offer.
Scott, since you didn't get a lot of comments to your gloat I thought I would add my gloat to yours to kind of flesh it out.:rolleyes: My "busting at the seams package" arrived today. Pete said it wasn't necessary but I will definitely be putting together some sort of thank-you package for him. Like you I got more then I was expecting. Didn't expect the different sizes, NICE very NICE. Not only are there some nice finials in the box but I see some bottle stoppers as well, maybe even a small birdhouse or two.:D

Pete Blair had a thread showing us all some plastic rods that he was making into finials. In that thread he meantioned an offer to "share" some of the rods. I took him up on the offer and received a box in the mail, today. What I was surprized to find is that Pete sent me a box FULL of the rods! Wowie. I really was only expecting a single small piece.

Thanks again Pete, I look forward to trying it out.

Peter Blair
10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Hey Scott/James/Tim. Looks like you guys all have your work cut out for you. I can hardly wait to see the results.

I wonder, kind of out loud, if it would be nice if instead of sending something to me as you have all offered to do, we were able to find other Creekers to whom you could send a return package and they could do the same for someone else, ad infinitum?

I'm not sure how to get something like this going unless you guys were to pose the question and then take it from there.

Ricc Havens
10-26-2012, 1:47 PM
If there are any acrylic rods left I would be interested in trying some. I'm a fairly novice turner and just getting into small hollow forms and finials so I think it would be fun to try. Plus I'm on a Soc Sec disability budget so I am always looking for low cost or freebies :):) I am also willing to "pay it forward" as Peter suggests above.

Let me know
Thanks
Ricc Havens

Paul Williams
10-26-2012, 2:13 PM
I think Pete's suggestion to pay it forward would be a lot of fun if everyone who received a package would post what they received and a photo of what they made.

Peter Blair
10-26-2012, 4:35 PM
Sorry Ricc. I divided up what I had and sent it to all. Who knows, someone just might send you one of the 'pay forward' packages.

If there are any acrylic rods left I would be interested in trying some. I'm a fairly novice turner and just getting into small hollow forms and finials so I think it would be fun to try. Plus I'm on a Soc Sec disability budget so I am always looking for low cost or freebies :):) I am also willing to "pay it forward" as Peter suggests above.

Let me know
Thanks
Ricc Havens

David Warkentin
10-26-2012, 6:54 PM
I was wondering what size rods these were. I've got some small stuff that may be available...

Peter Blair
10-26-2012, 7:03 PM
hey David. I sent various sizes but anything about 5/8 and up should work for finials or wine stopper tops.

I was wondering what size rods these were. I've got some small stuff that may be available...

David Warkentin
10-26-2012, 9:08 PM
Hmmm. I think I have some 3/4" and maybe some 1".

Tim Boger
10-26-2012, 9:40 PM
Hey Scott/James/Tim. Looks like you guys all have your work cut out for you. I can hardly wait to see the results.

I wonder, kind of out loud, if it would be nice if instead of sending something to me as you have all offered to do, we were able to find other Creekers to whom you could send a return package and they could do the same for someone else, ad infinitum?

I'm not sure how to get something like this going unless you guys were to pose the question and then take it from there.

Hey Pete .... I just found this thread, want to thank you very much for your generosity !!

I'll be sure to post a pic or two of what I make with these dowels.

Appreciate it,

Tim

Ricc Havens
10-27-2012, 10:07 AM
David, if some becomes available let me know

Ricc

David Warkentin
10-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I am in Oklahoma visiting family this weekend and will see what I have when I get home.

James Combs
10-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Let me know
Thanks
Ricc Havens

Ricc, PM me your address and I will get you out a pay it forward package.

David Warkentin
11-03-2012, 2:26 PM
Hey Ricc I have 5/8 and 7/8 it looks like. Big enough? I bought it for pen turning. You can practice kitless pens with it and see what you are doing. Supposedly:).

Ricc Havens
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
the 7/8 would be great!

Thanks
Ricc

Dick Gerard
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
How long are the rods? ANd yes, if anyone out there wants to share, I'd like to try some. My current endeavor is turning lots and lots of spin tops and wizard wands (ala harry Potter).