PDA

View Full Version : Hi there ! Long time no see.

John Pollman
04-19-2005, 9:25 AM
Well I haven't been here in almost six weeks. I think the last time I posted was just after my first surgery for my broken shoulder. I guess I was foolishly optimistic because I felt pretty good at the time I made the post. I think it went something like "I should be back to normal a lot sooner than I thought". I think when I made that post was just a few hours after returning home from surgery and as I said before I felt pretty good. But then the pain killers wore off. :eek:
This has been the worst 6 weeks of my life ! They ended up putting three 4" screws into my shoulder to hold it together. After about three weeks one of them decided it didn't want to be covered up anymore and it cut through the skin and was protruding out the top of my shoulder ! Well at that time it was only about a week from my scheduled surgery to remove them so they just gave me some antibiotics and told me to keep it clean and covered and they'd take it out at the normal scheduled time.

Well the second surgery went well and I didn't have any trouble. I had my first post-op visit with the surgeon and he took more xrays and told me that I'm healing up very well. Which is good but I've already been unable to work for 6 weeks and he said that it'll probably be at least another eight weeks until I can return to any kind of "normal" work. And even then, it's going to have to be light duty for a while. The bad part is that the job I was on when I got hurt is a 950 square foot suspended ceiling. I'm about 75% done but I think it's going to be a while until I'll be able to finish it. Luckily, the customer is being very understanding and she said I can wait until I'm ready to get it done.

Well I'm starting physical therapy today. My first appointment is in a couple of hours and I'll tell ya I can't wait for this whole mess to be over with but I'm NOT looking forward to PT. The way I feel right now I know that PT is going to hurt like heck. I've got very little range of motion in my injured shoulder and I'm sure hoping that the therapist can help with that. I know it's only been 6 weeks since the accident but I'm a bit scared that things may not get back to normal the way I'm feeling right now. If that happens, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm not going to be able to do the work I've been doing without full use of my arm. I guess it may be a little early to be thinking like that but I've never had an injury like this and I'm just a bit worried. Well thanks for letting me vent a bit. It helps to "talk" about it a bit. Hopefully PT will progress well and I'll be back to work soon. I'll try to get back here a little more often and check in. Unfortunately in my condition I can't really do any woodworking and such so I guess I'll just have to come here and live vicariously though your stories. :)

Thanks again for letting me vent. Talk to ya soon !

Take care all,

John

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2005, 9:35 AM
Hang in there John! Go to the PT and do what you're told. After breaking my back, 10 weeks lying flat on my back and then 4 weeks PT....it was still a while for a complete recovery. But....4 years later I'm able to work and play. It's a pain recovering from a major injury but you can do it. Hang tough!

John Pollman
04-19-2005, 9:47 AM
Thanks Ken,

It sounds like you were much worse off than I am. If you came through it ok, I'm sure I will. This is just driving me nuts sitting on my rear end not being able to work. I've been completely sick of daytime TV since about the third day ! :) Well I went out this past weekend and bought myself a PSP (Play Station Portable). Now I'm not much of a "gamer" but this thing is awesome ! It's so cool because I can download photos, movies, MP3's, AND play some pretty awesome games. The graphics on this thing are the best I've ever seen from ANY "video game". Right now I'm getting hooked on "Mercury". I was up until 1:00 last night trying get past a particularly troublesome level. ;)

I'll try to keep positive thoughts and get through this. Hopefully some time this summer I'll be able to post some pics of a project.

CYA soon !

John

Jerry Clark
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Hang in there John, we are thinking of you and are confident that you will recover and be back making sawdust :)

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
John,

In high school, I separated my shoulder playing football. Not near the injury that you had, but still something that is no peice of cake either.

I went to PT and really didn't get into it. I went because my coach was making me. To this day 6 years later, my shoulder hurts most every day.

My wife is a Nurse and says it is because I didn't follow the PT. You have a lot going for you. I guess what I am saying is, FOLLOW the PT, it may seem like BS, but these people specialize in making you better. If you don't, you will be much worse off.

Good luck in your recovery, I am sure you will fully recover, if you do what they tell you.

John Pollman
04-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Follow Dr.'s orders....

I've heard that from a lot of people over the past month. Sounds like good advice, I think I'll take it. You're right, that's what these people do (physical therapists). They do it full time and I'm sure for the most part they know what they're doing. I'm sure I'll be much better off by doing what the PT tells me and taking my time. There's no sense in rushing it and risking further injury.

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
'Hope you heal fast, John. It's gotta be excruciating not to be able to do the things you enjoy doing.

BTW, did the doc use a Festool drill/driver in the OR??? :D :D :D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
John, that attitude is perfect! I had the wrong attitude and just wanted to get back to playing football. I pushed it too hard and didn't follow doc's orders so I never healed.

Joe Mioux
04-19-2005, 2:17 PM
John:

One of my sister's is a Physical Therapist and the other one is a Physiatrist (Dr. who specializes in rehabilitation), both have helped me with a shoulder problem.

The best advice is do the exercises the PT prescribes and do them faithfully.

Your physical therapy sessions will be painful. Just remember, the best part of any PT session is the ice pack at the end of the session:)

Good Luck
Joe

Ian Barley
04-19-2005, 2:31 PM
John

I feel your pain. I slipped at home on 31st January and broke my ankle. As described by the surgeon it was a very thorough job that I did. Three screws and a plate and two weeks in hospital. Then got pitched home to "do nothing" for 2 weeks. No weight bearing - no walking cast. After 2 weeks a walking cast. Still no weight bearing for another 10 days then walking cast removed after about it had been on for about 3 weeks. When the cast came off I wasn't able to put my leg down for more than about 30 minutes because of circulation problems.

Went to see PT on the day that the cast was taken off and have been going every week since. Just this last week got to walking without a stick or crutches. Circulation has now normalized so I can actually stand for more than an hour or so and have therefore started to get back into the shop a little bit but with a limited range of activities. My PT has been great. Listen to what they say and work hard at what they have to tell you. A couple of times mine has done mobilisation exercises that have given me more movement in 10 minutes than I have achieved in a week. Don't overdo it. Pain is a bad thing and can cause other complications in itself. My PT says that discomfort is necessary but not pain.

I hven't been able to sell anything in the last three months (almost) but so far all my customers have been great about it.

Oh - and I finally managed to complete Halo on the Xbox so there is always a silver lining somewhere!

Get well and stay sane.