PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Zinken Combo Machines?

Paul Shaffer
10-24-2012, 6:14 AM
Creekers,
There is a Zinken Compact 21 combination machine for sale on Craigslist. The only information I can find (that isn't in Italian) is very limited about these machines. Does anyone here have any insight into these machines? What about quality (because parts are likely to be non-existant)?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Erik Loza
10-24-2012, 9:29 AM
Paul, I know OF them but no firsthand experience with. A smaller manufacturer, like Kity or Lurem (though those two are French, not Italian...). Not aware of parts suppliers here in the US but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. What's the condition of it, out of curiosity? If the spec meets your needs and there are no major structural issues or missing major parts, you can usually source out wearables like belts, bearings, and electrical parts from US suppliers. Just my thoughts.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Richard Coers
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
They used to advertise all the time in Fine Woodworking in the black and white days. Had a friend that had a Lurem. Parts will be nonexistant, should mean dead bargain pricing. I can't remember what the rip fence was like, but in those days, they usually wanted you to switch the fence from the jointer over to the table saw. I have never cared for that since I often wanted to go back and dress an edge while ripping. Also, the fence was too tall for the table saw, but correct for the jointer. I even put a Biesmeyer on the Felder here at work, so I imagine you could do the same on the Zinken. I have an 1996 vintage Minimax combination machine at home, so I love the combo machines.

Peter Kelly
10-24-2012, 2:32 PM
Gamma Zinken are in Milan, still in business and they still make a combination machine: http://www.gammazinken.it/en/combinata_ZCM26.html

If needed, you can probably order parts directly from them.

Gamma Zinken
Viale Lombardia, 10/D
20081 Cassinetta di Lugagnano
Milano - Italy
Tel. 39 02 9425210 / 39 02 9425211
Fax 39 02 9420622 / 39 02 39304902
info@gammazinken.it (info@gammazinken.it)

Paul Shaffer
10-24-2012, 5:22 PM
Awesome Peter. I assume its the same company, looks like a very similar overall design to the one I am looking at. For Richard and others with older combo machines, what should I look for/test if I go to check it out? I have never used or even seen used a European combo machine.

Thanks,
Paul