PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Grills

Tom Mullane
04-19-2005, 8:27 AM
I am in the market for a new BBQ Grill... Now before all you purists get on my case, SWHTM has decided (Despite my ravings) that we are getting a gas grill... and when SWHTM makes a decision like that I have to live with it...
AT LEAST, I get to choose the grill... we are only a family of 3 and don't need a large grill and I have never used the side burner on the old one.. so with that being said...
I am considering the Weber Genesis Silver A.. it seems like a nice size for us and has a great warranty...
Now do any of you have any experience with this grill or other recommendations in the same price range ($399)
Thanks

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 8:31 AM
The Weber Genisis Silver beat even the more expensive "designer" grills when Cooks Illustrated tested a year or so ago...so we bought one and have been blown away at how well it cooks. No lava rocks or ceramic briquettes to deal with either. And...it's available at the 'borg. (Home Depot) Three different configurations, depending on your needs.

Rob Blaustein
04-19-2005, 8:46 AM
I agree with Jim--on two counts. We've enjoyed our Weber Genesis Silver much more than our $200 grill (can't recall the brand). Having 3 rows of burners really helps. Didn't get the gizmo with the side burner. And I'm a big fan of Cook's Illustrated--I've learned an enormous amount of useful stuff from their mag over the past several years. Their recipes and techniques are excellent and their reviews of kitchen/cooking equipment are great as well.

Joe Mioux
04-19-2005, 8:53 AM
Hi Tom:

We too are in the market for a new BBQ Grill. Our Ducane lasted 10 years with very heavy use (about 3 days a week -- 52 weeks a year). We liked it alot.

However, we are now leaning towards Broilmaster. Why? Because the dealer has (is switching) switched from Ducane to Broilmaster. Broilmaster is mfr'd near St Louis so parts will be easy to attain. I like the heavy grill castings and should absorb and hold heat very well. Actually, the whole BBQ grill head is made with a heavier casting. I like that because the head should retain more heat.

And most importantly, the warranty is better on the Broilmaster. FYI, Weber bought Ducane awhile back and changed Ducane's warranty. If you go with the Weber, check the warranty. The original Ducane warranty saved use quite a lot of money when our grill needed servicing.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2005, 9:00 AM
Tom.....I bought my wife a Weber.....golly, must be well over 10 years ago. When they first started producing the Genesis series they had a different name for it. Other than replacing the "flavor bars" once it's been trouble free! Good luck with your decision!

Jim DeLaney
04-19-2005, 9:00 AM
I am considering the Weber Genesis Silver A.. it seems like a nice size for us and has a great warranty...
Now do any of you have any experience with this grill or other recommendations in the same price range ($399)
Thanks

I have had the Silver A for about three years, and really like it. In California, I used it maybe three nights a week, year-round. Here in Ohio, it took the winter off, except for cooking the Christmas turkey (while it was 4° outside).

The only repair/addition I've made to it was to replace the 'flavorizer bars.' The original ones were powder coated steel, and they rusted after two seasons. I replaced them with the stainless steel ones last Summer - for about $40.

My only concession to weather & care for it is that I do keep it covered when not in use. Other than the flavorizer bars, and an occasional cleaning, it's been maintenance free. Best grille I've ever had, and whenever I do need a new one, I'll buy another Weber.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 9:04 AM
Webers are great grills!

If you really want a charcoal grill, but LOML says you have to get a gas, check out some of the new gas/charcoal grills. We bought one for my FIL last year. He doesn't use the charcoal grill all that often, but when he does, he likes to have it.

With the gas/charcoal, you use the gas to light the charcoal, so no lighter fliuid is needed. It is a pretty neat system.

Mark Singer
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
the Weber Genisis is very good! I had one when I lived next door....the neighbor is still using it and loves it...we installed a DCS which is great also.

John Weber
04-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Weber of course! Ours is the middle series, Silver I think, nothing fancy, but works super year round in Indiana. I think it's about 5 years old. I see all the fancy stainless grills ar the home center, but it seems like keeping them clean would be a real pain. The Weber just needs the crates scraped every meal, and the grease trap changed every couple months. Love it, works great.

John

P.S. Use it a couple times a week year round - maybe 4 cylinders a year...

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Mark, the DCS is excellent...our big range in the kitchen is DCS. I just couldn't justify the larger investment for our outdoor activities. So the $500 Weber got the nod!

John Weber
04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Jim,

We have a DCS dual fuel range, I kind of wish we sprung for the Viking, but the $2500 savings was hard to pass up. We like DCS fairly well, but I still sort of wish we went for the Viking or even the Dacor.

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/kitchen/kitchen2.jpg

John

John Miliunas
04-19-2005, 10:48 AM
And another thumbs up for the Weber Genesis Silver! Great grill. Not overly large for the smaller family, but big enough for extra company. Well worth it!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 10:55 AM
We have a DCS dual fuel range, I kind of wish we sprung for the Viking, but the $2500 savings was hard to pass up. We like DCS fairly well, but I still sort of wish we went for the Viking or even the Dacor.

The DCS had the best grill design which was important to us. I do wish in hindsight we did the dual-fuel, but "at the time" the extra $1500 was a barrier. So we're all gas. The only complaint I have with our DCS is the burner grates...very small pots could use a little more support. But I really love the 17,000 btu burners!! :D

John Weber
04-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I hear you about the $$$ barriers, but nothing beats the pure BTU's. Dual fuel is nice, but my wife doesn't really use the convection like I do. The thing that really killed me was the hood. The 1,200 cfm hood runs a 10" duct all the way out the second story roof, but for what it cost I could have a very nice Oneida DC system :-).

John

P.S. We went for the griddle, but have yet to use it in the last 5/6 years. With the Weber just outside the kitchen door, nice to keep the grilling outside...

Rob Blaustein
04-19-2005, 11:32 AM
With the Weber just outside the kitchen door, nice to keep the grilling outside...

Boy, must be confusing with all those Webers in and out of your house. I know, pretty lame, but I couldn't resist.

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 11:45 AM
The 1,200 cfm hood runs a 10" duct all the way out the second story roof, but for what it cost I could have a very nice Oneida DC system :-).

We did pretty good on the Broan Rangmaster hood I picked up...got a great deal from a local supplier and had the duct custom fabricated by another local concern. (It had to fit between the joists to get to the outside wall...no way to go to the roof!) It was less than my cyclone...but not by much! But like clearing dust from the shop, the 1200 CFM is really required when grilling or using the iron pan. Smoke, steam and odor is not a fun thing and you really need to be able to clear it out.

Jim Young
04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
I bought a Weber about five years ago. It has the cast iron grating. It's worked great. We also use our extensively, about 2-3 times a week in the summer and once a week in the winter (when I can get to it through the snow). Only maintenance is that I replace the flavor bars every couple of years.

Dan Mages
04-19-2005, 12:34 PM
I live about 10 miles from the Weber factory. It is quite an operation!! It is nice to have the parts department so close by. I know you want to stick to gas, but you have seen the Weber Performer? I have one and it is the best of both worlds. It is a charcoal grill, but it also has a propane starter. To start the grill, you light a small propane burner on the bottom of the grill for 5 minutes to light up the charcoal. After 25 minutes, the grill is ready to use.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/charcoal/cg_p.aspx

For gas, the Weber Genesis line is the king. You cannot beat the performance. For tailgaiting.... you need to see the Ranch Kettle. This sucker is 36" in diameter and has over 1100 sq in of grilling space!

Karl Laustrup
04-19-2005, 1:23 PM
Another vote for Weber Genesis. Got my first one in 1982. Retired it in 2003. Replaced it with the Genesis Gold.

Over the years all I did was replace the grates three times and the flavorizer bars three times. I now have the Genesis Gold and I expect it to last as long as the old one with some routine care.

Scott Coffelt
04-19-2005, 2:01 PM
I sure like my Jenn-Air outdoor gas grill, built like a tank and cooks real nice. It was a tad more than the $399 range. I got mine at Lowes, I think it was $449 or $499. I can't remember. It uses a double hood design to keep heat in for cooking. I also have a small weber for charcoal when I feel the urge for lots of smoke.

Russ Filtz
04-19-2005, 3:46 PM
Been seeing most with SS or cast brass burners. Which is better? I know SS won't rust, but it can corrode. Plus seems like the cast brass would hold heat better? I too would stay away from porcelain. They work OK for awhile, but get a crack or chip and it rusts away.

Bart Leetch
04-19-2005, 4:05 PM
I have a Weber too. Can't seem to wear it out. Works great, price was right to free :D The LOML & I like the old way.

Matt Meiser
04-19-2005, 5:25 PM
We just got a Genesis Silver. It is great! Especially compared to our old grill.

We also got an awesome deal. We were ready to buy the one at Lowes, but found last years model at a local hardware for $380. We couldn't get it in the car at the time, so the next day my wife checked their other location to see if they had any. They had just lowered the price to $250. They also said they had one with no tank that they'd sell for $220. Since we already had 2 OPD tanks, we got that one. You might call around to see if you can find a deal on an "old" one.

Fred Voorhees
04-20-2005, 7:10 PM
I purchased the Silver B a handful of years ago and like others, have been blown away by how it grills food. Beautifully done steaks! It was about $450 and well worth the money.