PDA

View Full Version : Question about a block plane

steven c newman
10-23-2012, 5:45 PM
Ok, the iron is stamped as a Mohawk-Shelburne. The cap iron has a "386" stamped in it. Millers Falls so far, including a nickle plated wheel 243808 Might be a M-S 700?? But wait, there is more. When you flip the base over...243809there is no hole for the knob bolt to go into. Looks like a Stanley #110 base? Did Millers Falls use this style of screw-on knob bases? One more look at all the parts..243810 Ugly, ain't they? :eek: Maybe a Halloween Block plane???:D I can turn a new knob for this, IF I can find the right "look" of the knob used. A Stanley"style", or something else. Looks like the old knob had one big old base, really a fat-a$$ed one. Copy that feature?? :eek: Just playing around with a $5 rusty.....

steven c newman
10-23-2012, 7:59 PM
Working on the iron a bit, seems some of the block plane irons have been clamped down too hard for so long, that they are "bowed" in the middle of the iron.

No evidence that the cap iron was anything but black. No hint of any red paint. Underside of the cap is all black.

I am starting to get this iron at least flat, but it takes awhile. Sandpaper, and oilstones, with the oilstone also as a means to keep the sandpaper flat. i have been just sitting here, with a stone on my knee, sharpening away. I do have four grits of stones to use, along with the paper items. Multi-tasking on the computer....

steven c newman
10-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Going to be wire brushing this little plane down to bare iron today. IF I can get out to the Pole Barn Woodshop, I may be able to turn a new kanoobie for it. Let's see, a Stanley "Flat top" one, or a American Boy Round Ball?. Maybe add a fancy bottom to it, and call it a Union?? I have two other old timers coming in the mail today. Looks like i MIGHT be a little busy in the "Re-Hab Center for Old Planes" the next few days.

I realize that this plane doesn't have either "LN" or even "LV" stamped somewhere on it. But, It will have an "SCN" on it at a later date. Maybe start my own line????

steven c newman
10-24-2012, 5:56 PM
Well, iron is now sharp, base is now all clean and shiny243920Just need anew knob, and some new paint. These were not Japanned, either, so maybe a few coats of "Rattle-can" laq???

Bill Houghton
10-24-2012, 6:10 PM
If it is a Stanley - looks kind of like it - you can still get those knobs. They're not rosewood anymore, and they're kind of blocky; but they have the internal threads. See http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ and follow the links to U.S. made block planes.

Jim Koepke
10-24-2012, 8:56 PM
You likely already know about this page:

http://oldtoolheaven.com/blok/blok04.htm

jtk

steven c newman
10-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Yep, that is where I got the idea that this little block plane was a #700. Will try to get back to the lathe, and turn a couple knobs. Much better to turn my own, than pay Stanley to ship a couple $2 knobs. I happen to have a bit of Black Walnut handy. Need to turn a "High knob" as well...243937Seems I have to replace this one...

Jim Koepke
10-25-2012, 2:11 AM
Yep, that is where I got the idea that this little block plane was a #700. Will try to get back to the lathe, and turn a couple knobs. Much better to turn my own, than pay Stanley to ship a couple $2 knobs. I happen to have a bit of Black Walnut handy. Need to turn a "High knob" as well...243937Seems I have to replace this one...

What do you have to cut threads for the block plane knob?

jtk

steven c newman
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Another old block plane base, with a cracked mouth. Filed some slots into the threads on it's knob. Treat it like a tap. Or, just be like countless others: Drill a hole, and tap for a bolt, countersink for the bolt head.

steven c newman
10-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Kanoobie is turned and installed:244269244270on a similar block plane. I used the Craftsman Block plane's knob as a pattern. Liked it so well, I just swaped it out for the original knob. Just needs a finish. 244271 Don't look too bad, does it?

Jim Neeley
10-28-2012, 7:12 PM
Looks good, Steven. :)

steven c newman
10-29-2012, 11:19 PM
To JK: did get a knob on the Mohawk-Shelburne plane...244386and the plane even cuts Pine!!! Imagine that!! As for the walnut handled one (Craftsman )244387Doesn't do too badly, either.

Jim Koepke
10-30-2012, 1:49 PM
Nice knobs.

jtk