PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge more for high maintenance customers?

Scott Shepherd
10-23-2012, 2:25 PM
Just curious if you charge more for high maintenance customers. I quoted a job, cut and dry, 1 hours worth of work. 5 hours and 6 visits later from the customer over a two week period, I finally got the go ahead to do the 1 hours work.

I'm normally pretty good at reading these types of customers, but I missed this one, since it seemed so cut and dry.

Do you charge more for those that require more time and effort, or even taking it a step further, do you charge more for those requiring a lot of additional paper work, i.e. the government?

Just curious....

Mike Null
10-23-2012, 2:33 PM
I have little patience for a customer who has so little regard for my time. I either charge more or invite them to get a quote from another engraver.

This is the main reason I stopped doing retail orders.

David Fairfield
10-23-2012, 3:48 PM
no I have one set price. If they are trouble, I tell them I cant handle the work. Upping the price gives them carte blanche to be more of a pain, and can cause resentment too. Fortunately I have enough customers to be choosy.

Chris DeGerolamo
10-23-2012, 3:57 PM
yes

Walt Langhans
10-23-2012, 5:44 PM
I would if I had any. That's any customers ;)

Rich Riddle
10-23-2012, 6:15 PM
I only contract through the government; they provide my "customers" or "clients." They also pay my wages, and I don't have to worry about being paid. When you deal with them a lot you get used to completing governmental forms. If not, many companies exist that will process the billing and forms to them for about 6% of net. It might be worth your time to hire one of those folks so you can do what you do best.

As to if I charge more for high maintenance clients, well I'm a psychologist. The more high maintenance they are, the more they cost the government; it's purely an hourly thing. Many high maintenance people want attention. Simply tell them you are in business and your quote is a labor and material quote. The longer they take, the more it costs.

Rich Riddle
10-23-2012, 6:20 PM
If I might ask one question, what are you folks considering an engraver? My father has about sixty years experience (still works 20 hours a week at 82 years of age) as a copper and brass hand engraver. He also does steel dies. I potentially see a time when he might prefer to work some at home since he has a bench and tools there as well. Is this the type of engraving you are discussing or is it another form? He will never retire as he says he's not fond of what happens to all his contemporaries after they retire (death).

Mike Null
10-23-2012, 6:33 PM
Rich

I think all of our members are using a laser or a mechanical engraver. I would love to have that skill.

Martin Boekers
10-23-2012, 7:06 PM
Rich, I am sure he can get all the work he wants as that kind of artistry has diwindled in this field. It's getting rarer and rarer
to finds someone with his talents.

Rich Riddle
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Mike,

He rides his motorcycle from Kansas City to St. Louis on a regular basis. And thanks to you gentlemen for telling me the answers and please accept an apology for derailing the thread for a moment.

Dee Gallo
10-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Mike,

He rides his motorcycle from Kansas City to St. Louis on a regular basis. And thanks to you gentlemen for telling me the answers and please accept an apology for derailing the thread for a moment.

Rich, I used to do engraving by hand and arthritis pushed me to get a laser. It's a different set of skills of course, but still custom engraving for me attracts high end customers. So it does relate to the thread, as those who are paying a lot expect a lot of service.

I usually hammer out their needs before quoting the job, so I have an idea of how much trouble they are going to be. 99% of the time I guess correctly. 1% of the time I regret taking the job and charge them more next time.

BTW, kudos to your Dad for keeping a great art alive!

cheers, dee

Mark Ross
10-24-2012, 10:00 AM
New customers come in and on my desk in my office I have a jar that says "Ashes of problem customers". If a customer becomes a PITA we drop them.

Rodne Gold
10-24-2012, 1:25 PM
Send them in a nice way to your competition ...

Chuck Stone
10-25-2012, 8:03 AM
^^^^^^^ what he said.

Life is too short to have other people's problems eat away the
lining of YOUR stomach. Let them go with your thanks.

Dan Hintz
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Simply tell them you are in business and your quote is a labor and material quote. The longer they take, the more it costs.
I take somewhat of a hybrid approach. I give them a little leeway if I believe they just need a little guidance before locking things in. But if I determine they are just the type that can't settle, I inform them that it's a labor/material price, and I would be happy to help them refine the final deign further at a shop rate. At that point, they either poop or get off of the pot.

Mel Fulks
10-25-2012, 1:42 PM
I have had a lot of experience dealing with clients, but only as an employee. Have noticed that employers tend to have good policies on handling clients ;and totally ignore those policies in their own contacts. For example, they will say "don't let anyone take a door sample without leaving the deposit". Then they decide that their clients are "good people" and you don't have door sample you need because the "good people" won't bring it back. They have bought elsewhere and the sample is gone for good. It is good to remember that crooks try hard to LOOK like the good people. Whatever policies you have ,hold yourself to them. Don't change policy while talking to a client. The worst and most dishonest couple I have ever encountered were wealthy .They were adding on a large space and the woman was her own GC. Everyone who did any work on that job was cheated out of their money. She told a painter he had to finish "today" because she was going to have a party the next day. He was not paid because "bugs were stuck in the paint". She refused to pay us for a couple of custom doors because our top panel was an eighth inch off from her original,located on the other side of the room.A number of the subs tried mechanics liens etc to no effect. She had signed all the contracts, her husband had not,since their house was in both names nothing could be done. To top it off she would call us often ,after refusing to pay, to order more work! I called her husband at his investment company and told him his wife was a crook and I was going to call him ten times for every time she called us. There are some people who are wealthy, prominent , go to church, polite and will treat you like a serf. Be on guard.