PDA

View Full Version : Cermark on Chrome Plated cast metal

Ernie Martinez
10-23-2012, 2:00 PM
I've gotten a request to engrave Chrome plated Wine Stoppers. Unfortunately I'm not sure of the material under the chrome. Ferro says Cermark works on chrome plated steel, but no mention of any other metals. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

matthew knott
10-23-2012, 2:10 PM
Almost certainly some kind of cheap brass, i would guess if its ok on chrome/steel it should work. But we have noticed a steady decline in the quality of plating on promotional gifts, we can get some of it off with sticky tape and its a royal PITA, we directly engrave the stopper and we often get a a brass colour mark on random parts or the plating peeling off. I guess you have to suck it and see!

Ernie Martinez
10-23-2012, 2:18 PM
I did a quick search on Amazon, and the only one that specified a material in any way just said cast metal, but what metal I don't know.

After I suck the stopper, what particular flavor am I looking for :)

Mike Null
10-23-2012, 2:19 PM
Ernie

First, put a magnet to it to see if it's steel. If it's not it's likely a cheap pot metal. In either case I think Matthew's prediction is probably accurate.

I tried to do some plated steel Harley Davidson after market stuff from China and it wouldn't take.

Ernie Martinez
10-23-2012, 2:23 PM
I was going to do the magnet once I got my hands on the thing, but the woman is asking me over the phone if I can do it, and she doesn't seem to understand "I don't know unless I see it"

Thanks.

Bill Cunningham
10-25-2012, 9:26 PM
Ernie

I tried to do some plated steel Harley Davidson after market stuff from China and it wouldn't take.

I did a family crest on a chrome Harley fuel cap from Harley, and it came out perfect, but I always warn the customer that if it's Chinesium there is a good chance it might flake.. I don't think Harley is importing their accessories...yet...

Mike Null
10-26-2012, 7:56 AM
Bill

My wording wasn't very good. This wasn't genuine Harley stuff but a knock off. The customer actually had one of each and the Harley item engraved perfectly.