PDA

View Full Version : Contour offset too large?

Martin Boekers
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I get this every once in a while and not reaaly sure why, any help?

Mark Sipes
10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
pictures? assume vector mode??

Rodne Gold
10-23-2012, 1:22 PM
Some offsets cant be achieved as there is not a valid offset path. Take a heart with a fat butt cheek shape for example .. offset a 5" high heart like that 1" inwards to the centre of the heart , there is no offset path between the hearts "cheeks". The inner "butt crack" will never happen or if it does , down way yonder

Lee DeRaud
10-23-2012, 2:57 PM
To state that somewhat more elegantly...
I think the contouring algorithm gets upset if the contour line crosses itself, which can happen easily on interior contours or on concave portions of exterior contours.

Martin Boekers
10-23-2012, 3:06 PM
I think the problem is that it is doing an interior and exterior at the same time and the interior part is messing it up.

I ended up converting my outline to greyscale then tracing it. It showed up as an int & Ext contour but I was able to ungroup and work with it.
I set Corel to default and it still didn't work on the first version. I tried simplify the nodes and that didn't work. So I think Lee might be right about
crossed lines. Because the grey scale and trace worked.

Mike Null
10-23-2012, 4:22 PM
Marty

IF you are trying to contour a group of objects the outside contour will work on the outside of the object only and you must group it before running the contour. But for an inside contour, also grouped, the contour lines will follow the interior of all lines.

I'm not sure this is a good response to your question but inside and outside work differently.