PDA

View Full Version : Advise for in laying script letters?

Mike Allen1010
10-22-2012, 4:14 PM
I'm working on a footlocker sized chest for my college-age son and would like to inlay his name in small, script style letters (as opposed to block letters that have more straight lines) on the top.

I have done some straight line in-lay with veneer, but don't know how I would go about cutting the recesses for for the irregular curves in script style letters. I would very much appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I guess I could try using stencils and cutting the recesses free hand with an Exacto knife and router plane, but it seems like it would be tough to get the consistent depth needed to fill the recesses with veneer?

I have a Dremmel tool, and have seen pictures of small, "router base - like" tools that hold the dremmel tool vertically so I could use a small diameter bit to freehand the recesses for the letters?

I don't have a scroll saw so I guess I will have to cut the veneer with a knife or fret saw?- any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Adam Lewis
10-22-2012, 5:27 PM
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq37/adamllewis/SBLTOYCHESTXMAS2011.jpg

it is possible with a dremmel tool and a router base. i have done it many times. my process for it begins with cutting out your letters first. get them to the desired shape, then trace them on to the work with an exacto knife. after that i go after it with the dremmel and hog out most of the waste with a small straight bit. then i go back with a small ball end bit and get real tight into the corners and even undercut the profile just a little. that way i know i don't have waste in the way. dry fit lightly, when it all looks good glue the ****out of it and come back later and knock the letters down flush.

this photo (if it shows up) still has the letters proud of the surface. it was a toy box for my nephew for xmas.....based on the christpher schwarz's ATC
and yes...i am working in the kitchen :D.......it was to cold to be in the garage.

Greg Wease
10-22-2012, 5:47 PM
I haven't attempted inlaying individual letters. Instead I stack 2 different-colored layers of veneer with cardboard on top and bottom (cardboard from cereal boxes works well). Print out the name from your computer and use spray adhesive to attach to the top of your stack. Use staples or pin nails to secure the layers of your stack. Next, drill small holes at each section of the name and thread your fret saw blade through (2/0 or thinner) one section at a time. I use a scroll saw for this but a fret saw should work. Tape the light letters into the darker background or vice versa. Insert this entire piece into your chest. By the way, script letters are much easier than block letters using this technique.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-22-2012, 9:07 PM
I'd second Adam's recommendation, your task doesn't sound that much different from the inlay on a fancy fingerboard, just bigger. Get your letters cut out, and then use those to trace onto the stock to accept them, and then it's just a matter of cutting to the line. Pretty much any method can work for that cutting to the line, it's just a matter of control and finesse, and some finangling to make things work. Some woods are more forgiving than other, either in fitting or in hiding a wider glue line.

I haven't done anything like Greg suggests. I have seen other folks do stuff like that, and they used a sort of bevel-cutting technique with their scrollsaws, so the fit was tighter at the show surface.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-23-2012, 11:57 AM
You could potentially even use chip carving to add his name rather than using an inlay..... But your wood of choice might not be a lot of fun to chip carve. I know someone that did some fancy chip carving in Walnut...He said it was difficult work.

Oh, and impressive work Mr. Lewis.

Chris Griggs
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Steve Latta used small carving tools for the really small lettering he demonstrated on The Woodwright's Shop - not sure if its the style you're looking for but its a great episode.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3109.html

Mike Allen1010
10-23-2012, 3:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the advice!

I've ordered one of the small router basis for my dremel tool and am looking forward to giving it a try.I appreciate the coaching and encouragement -- never thought I would try in-lay before but think it will add a nice personal touch the project-- if I can pull it off!

All the best,Mike