PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-22-2012, 8:58 AM
22 Oct 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
I'm back in the oncall shift for work beginning this morning. I really don't look forward to these weeks as they are typically long and hard weeks. Anyway, the LOML and I spent the weekend taking care of things around the yard, the garden, and the firewood pile. Getting things done, cleaned up, and orderly sure makes us feel good when we get those done. :)
I planted one single sweet potato plant in June on a whim...just because it was growing in the house due to the lack of us cooking it. Well, we dug it up this past weekend and we got almost 50 pounds of sweet potatoes out of that one plant. The vine & leaves covered over 150 square feet of garden space. The potatoes were all in a single hill and some of them are the size of a half gallon milk jug.!!! Needless to say that we now have all the sweet taters that we will need for the winter months.

That's it for me for now, so what did YOU do this past weekend.?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
10-22-2012, 9:41 AM
I did...nothing. Not entirely true, but we sent LOMLjr to my parents and we took a weekend getaway to Columbus. Friday night we enjoyed wings and beverages at one of our favorites--Quaker Steak and Lube which was conveniently located across the street from our hotel so we didn't have to worry about driving. Saturday morning LOML followed me around Woodwerks, in the afternoon I followed her around the mall(s). We went out to dinner and to a comedy club. At Woodwerks I picked up some clamps for my MFT, a couple router bits, and a few other miscellaneous things. Sunday on the way home we stopped at a big antique mall and craft store we hadn't been to in a long time. The only thing I did in the kitchen at all was ask LOML to show me where she wants a couple hooks in the pantry so I can install them at lunch time today.

This week is a big week on the kitchen. The counters show up tomorrow afternoon and I'm currently scheduled to take Thursday and Friday off to do the backsplash--unless my work schedule and the tile guy's schedule line up for him to be able to do it next week. He's doing my mom and dad's master bath this week into early next but his availability for me will depend on how things go over there. We're supposed to talk tomorrow afternoon to update each other. Even if he can do it, I might still take the long weekend and do some projects in the shop, including sharpening about every edge tool I own. Some of my chisels are in downright bad shape.

Gregory King
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
I setup my router table at the new house to get ready for some finish work. First order of business was to v-match some T+G pine which my son-in law purchased in the square edge form. Simple process, but a lot of lineal footage to run. Will be used for kitchen and cathedral ceilings in the master bedroom. This is the first time that I have used the station for an extended period. Norm Abram's invention works to a tee. The only glitch was that the 2 1/2" shop vac. hose is a tad small, obviously. Had to clean often as some long slivers plugged up the line. The 4" line is the preferred way to go. Greg

Shawn Pixley
10-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Busy weekend here. I relieved Bill at the local Woodgraft of some some exotic shorts that he had scored recently and ordered some LED lights for my cabinet. Friday night was dinner with our son. We are having the exterior of our house painted. The painters were finishing up the last touch-ups / punch lists on Saturday. We took the dogs for a two hour romp at the dog park and stopped and got a cashiers check for the painters on the way home. Most of the afternoon was putting back in place things that need to move for the painters to work. Saturday night LOML and I went to see Snow Patrol at the Santa Barbara Bowl. The show goes on rain or shine and luckily the rain held off until after the show. Our son was watching the dogs while we went to the show. Unfortunately, his dog ate something he shouldn't have and was sick all night and all of Sunday. He is better this morning.

Sunday was back to the gerneral routine - dog stuff in the morning and shop in the afternoon. Made two door handles, fabricated the risers and trays for the smaller drawers. I also spent about an hour recessing the vise into the bench. I had decided that having it even with the apron would offer some advantages. It is a makeshift bench top that I manhandle onto two sawhorses to work. The perils of not having a dedicated shop.

Matt Berry
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I moved over 1,000 bf of oak lumber from the storage unit to my house, talk about a work out. Hopefully will be able to get the rest of my lumber moved next weekend. It will be so nice when I can get the shop setup and start woodworking again.

David Hostetler
10-22-2012, 4:03 PM
Okay I get to gloat some. I took Friday off, had the power company come by, and cut the power. Had my service upped from 125 to 200 amps, and had my sub panel pulled to the garage. I have 5 circuits, 3 @ 110 and 2 at 220V. I can now power my AC, my Dust Collector, AND my table saw at the same time!

The electrician got started promptly at 8 A.M., and I mean PROMPTLY (he obviously isn't with the cable co...) and by 1:00 the city had signed off on the final inspection.

I had one bad thing happen, I mismeasured for my winch install on the truck, not only won't it fit, but I managed to break the transmission cooler. I ordered a replacement for it, but will be without the truck for about a week while the new cooler comes in...

Jim Becker
10-26-2012, 9:39 PM
I got a good bit of the work completed this past weekend on the storage bench in the nose of the new-to-me horse trailer. I will certainly be posting a pictorial in Woodworking Projects once I'm done with the project. And then it's time to clean up the shop to move on to what's coming next...my likely winter project is a new kitchen table with a rugged, heavy wooden frame and a soapstone top to match the counters. :)