PDA

View Full Version : How to make acrylic sign with LED ???

stefan karlsson
10-22-2012, 5:06 AM
Hi,

I have a costumer that wants a sign with corona effect and I have never done something like that. I have tried whit some small pieces but I cant get a good effect :(

Something like this..243749243750 With this logo243751

I will cut the letters in black acrylic and the costumer wants white background.

Any ideas how to complete the sign ?

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2012, 8:22 AM
It's called a "Halo" effect and it's done by having a hollow letter that's deep. The LED's go inside the cavity and point towards the face of the letter, not the wall. It's not done with flat, laser cut material. It's a fabricated sheet metal letter, that's about 1" or more thick.

Calvin thompson
10-22-2012, 9:11 AM
i just finished some signs the give you a similar afect that you are looking for with flat aluminum cut leters with led faceing the wall they were stood of the wall 1 inch or more looked nice. the closer you are to the wall the more spoting you get so get something of some size and play with it.

David Fairfield
10-22-2012, 9:45 AM
That is really cool. I guess I'm not allowed to post links to eBay auctions, but you can buy very inexpensively LEDs on a flexible, adhesive backed strip. It comes on a spool. I got mine from a dealer in Hong Kong it was very inexpensive and there is a wide assortment of colors including cool white as the demo appears to be. It would be ideal for this application, you only have to solder the power leads, not hundreds of indivdual LEDS, and its thin enough to fit inside the letters with room to spare. Post a pic when you have it finished! :)

Dave

Scott Shepherd
10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
i just finished some signs the give you a similar afect that you are looking for with flat aluminum cut leters with led faceing the wall they were stood of the wall 1 inch or more looked nice. the closer you are to the wall the more spoting you get so get something of some size and play with it.

That's why you face them away from the wall, it diffuses the light and makes it more even.

Here's some we did as well. These aren't turned it, the LED is facing the wall and you have to get quite far from the edge to get rid of the hotspots.

stefan karlsson
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the ideas,

I´m waiting for material and will post a picture when the sign is ready.

Regards Stefan