PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw contactor/low voltage interrupt issue

Brad Olson
10-21-2012, 11:35 PM
I just restored a Meber SR-500 bandsaw.

See here for more: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?192812-Epic-Meber-Holz-SR-DS-500-Bandsaw/

The process went well, but I am having issues with the contactor.

The previous owner bypassed the motor starter for a standard light switch.

I am trying to wire up the starter and running into some problems

The starter itself is a Moeller PKMZ0-16. Without the low voltage trip (U-PKZ0) attached, the starter works just fine and looks like this when I bought it.

The low voltage trip is supposed to (I think) be connected to the microswitches on the band saw (doors, brake) and if any are tripped it should shut down the saw.

Here is the problem. I think the shunt trip is faulty, but I'm not sure, because I don't know if I have it wired correctly.

I have tested all the wiring and switches, and they are all working correctly. When the doors of the bandsaw are closed and the brake is not being used, the safety microswitches are NC (normally closed). If any of the switches are tripped, the circuit is opened.

No matter how I have wired up the low voltage trip, the motor won't start if it is attached to the switch. (It has a mechanical relay interlock that trips the main switch, hence why they are physically attached).

I think it is supposed to be wired at follows (I have straight 220V, with no neutral) based on how it was wired when I bought it, however, the shunt trip doesn't do anything. If I detach it from the starter, the mechanical breaker that shuts off the motor doesn't come in when the circuit is energized.

If I have wired it wrong, then that would be the problem, but if it is wired correctly then the shunt trip needs to be replaced.

Thanks for any insight, but I am stumped at the moment.