PDA

View Full Version : Yes, we have a Banana!

Kathy Marshall
10-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Last week I posted a bowl of fruit that I had turned. Someone mentioned a banana, so this weekend I turned and carved another piece of rainbow poplar into a banana.
It took alot longer than I thought it would. I turned the spindle using 3 axis to define the curve, then I went at it with my Foredom carving handpiece. There was alot of waste to remove. If I were to do another one, I would trim the spindle into a rectangle just a bit wider than the finished width. Most of the waste came from narrowing the piece down. I also spent hours sanding it down. The blank was soaking wet so the sandpaper created more fuzz than sanding dust, but with lots of elbow grease I was able to get a nice surface.
With the blank being wet, it carved like a hot knife through butter.
I would have liked a more yellow dye, but all I had was golden yellow so it's a little darker than it should be.

I could have just taken the blank to the bandsaw and cut out a banana shape, but then it wouldn't be a turned banana!

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Mark Hubl
10-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Those look good enough to eat! Love the color and finish, nice work.

John Kent
10-22-2012, 6:00 AM
Great job Kathy. I know how much time you put in the banana and it turned out great! Looking foward to what is next.

John

Andrew Kertesz
10-22-2012, 6:27 AM
You could say it is a "Plantain" instead of a banana, same family different color.... Looks good!

Paul Singer
10-22-2012, 6:33 AM
That was me that had mentioned a banana for your fruit bowl collection. I did not intend it to be a challenge but you did a great job on it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-22-2012, 7:34 AM
Wow - first time I've ever seen a turned banana! Looks very real!

Baxter Smith
10-22-2012, 8:16 AM
Looks just like the real thing Kathy. I have even seen some varieties about that color.

Tim Rinehart
10-22-2012, 8:25 AM
Looks great. A bit of a challenge I would think. Did you take any pics along the way?

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Cool banana. Looks really nice Kathy. First I have seen turned.

David DeCristoforo
10-22-2012, 10:19 AM
A banana is it? Hummm... OK. In that case, consider the fact that in most parts of the world where bananas are grown, they are not considered ripe until the peel looks to be just about that color. It's only here in this country that we eat them while they are still yellow. So the color of your banana is "just ripe".

Scott Hackler
10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
I was going to say that it was passed a snack and ready for some banana nut bread!

Roger Chandler
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
That is just so cool....nice work Kathy...very creative!!

Michelle Rich
10-22-2012, 2:13 PM
now that is a great turning/carving..good for you!

Scott Lux
10-22-2012, 3:59 PM
You are amazing.

Michael James
10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
WOW. Ms. Marshall.......... I go away for awhile and come back to see you never let up! A great example of talent + dedication + hard work yields awesome progress. YOU GO GIRL!!!
mj

Kathy Marshall
10-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone!
It took alot of time, but I learned alot and got lots of practice with the Foredom (which I needed). Knowing what I do now, I could probably do another in about 1/4 of the time.
Glad this one is done, and I'm happy with how it turned out!

Great job Kathy. I know how much time you put in the banana and it turned out great! Looking foward to what is next.

John
I've got something completely different in mind for the next piece, which I'm hoping to start on (and finish) tomorrow. Something unrelated to fruit :eek:

That was me that had mentioned a banana for your fruit bowl collection. I did not intend it to be a challenge but you did a great job on it.
Thanks for the suggestion Paul! A good challenge keeps things from getting boring.

Looks great. A bit of a challenge I would think. Did you take any pics along the way?
I meant to take more, but you know how that goes. I did get a few while turning on the axis to show how I started the curves.

Eric Holmquist
10-23-2012, 5:21 AM
First turned banana I've seen! Nice job on all the fruit

Jerry Rhoads
10-23-2012, 8:46 AM
Nice work Kathy
That banana is ready to eat.
Uhh! You going to go for a partially peeled one next?