PDA

View Full Version : SN2 Chuck Question

Brad Adams
10-21-2012, 10:30 PM
My supernova nova chuck has alot of play in the jaw slides in and out. Does anyone else have a chuck with loose jaw slides. My old nova midi chuck was tight and had zero runout. I think this may have to be the cause of the vibration I am getting with the chuck on. I checked the runout of the chuck with it mounted on the spindle and have .020". The spindle itself doesn't have any runout. Do the jaws in the stronghold chuck move in and out with nothing mounted? I think the reconditioned chuck I bought may have been returned for a reason. I think I may be upgrading to the oneway chuck.

Andrew Kertesz
10-22-2012, 6:50 AM
I bought my SN2 new and haven't had any problems. Before I would abandon the NOVA line I would contact CS and see if there are any options. I'm not sure what their policies are on the refurbished equipment.

Michael Mills
10-22-2012, 9:02 AM
A couple of things to check..

First, are you checking run-out on the body or on the jaws? On all of mine run-out on the body is from .001 to .008, which is acceptable to me. I have never checked the jaws because that is a function of how well I mount and trued them. There is a little play in the jaws on all of mine but when tightened they can’t move. If the jaws are adjusted to a true circle there should be no more run-out than the body; it would be impossible for me to adjust the jaws to .001 but .020 is way out of whack.

Second, did you get a real Nova insert or a knock-off from one of the retail stores? Even though I ask three times I was given three evasive answers to the question of is this a Nova insert at a retail store. Run-out on the body with the knock-off was .014 and when I installed a true Nova insert it was .004.

I agree with Andrew, if the problem persists I would contact Nova service, I believe the warranty on the refurbs is the same as on a new.