PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein Horizontal Mortiser

John Fleming
10-21-2012, 5:41 PM
This is something I built from different pieces of old machinery. The base is from an old delta table saw and jointer combo (which I still have). The vertical height is adjusted by the use of the height adjuster from an Craftsman radial arm saw that the motor had broken. I cut the slide off and turned it upside down and that is what does the x axis. The y axis is achieved by the use of three heavy duty undermount drawer slides. The tables are mdf . I have used it a couple of weeks and it does really well at cutting mortises. I got the basic design by seeing a couple of people who had done home built HM on You Tube.

Peter Quinn
10-21-2012, 5:53 PM
I'd give that an A+ for resourcefulness. I like the vice grips too, any decent home built machine should include at least one pair!:D Thats a great way to put some old parts back into service.

David Nelson1
10-22-2012, 2:20 PM
I like the adjustment knobs LOL

Alan Lightstone
10-22-2012, 5:29 PM
No duct tape? it's clearly not finished without some.

John Fleming
10-22-2012, 7:17 PM
There's some on the back,you just can't see it. I will try to take better pictures next time, that shows the true scope of the machine. Although I realize calling it a machine is being generous. I have to be inventive being that I spent all my money on a table saw.

Peter Quinn
10-22-2012, 8:28 PM
That is actually the best use of a craftsman RAS i have ever seen. Who knew they could be more useful for wood working when flipped upside down and cut in half?:rolleyes: Perhaps this idea will give new life to all those that have been recalled. If you had tried that with a DeWalt, there would presently be a secret society currently trying to find your home address. Plus most of them adjust from the top rear, so that would be inconvenient. I'd love to see a video of that Frankenholenmaker in action! What motor drives the bit?

John Fleming
10-22-2012, 9:33 PM
Peter, right now I just have my porter cable router running the bits. What I eventually want to do is use the old 1 1/2 hp motor out of my old craftsman table saw and hook it to some kind of chuck system. I saw a guy on you tube that did that. It would save me the hassle of swapping the PC between it and the router table.

John Fleming
10-22-2012, 9:37 PM
If I had done that to an old Dewalt I wouldn't have told anybody. It's not ideal but the carriage for the saw motor on the radial arm saw makes a pretty good slide when it was all cleaned up.

Gary Herrmann
10-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Post a vid of it in action please.

Looks like a great solution.

John Fleming
10-23-2012, 6:49 AM
How do I put video on the forum? I've done stuff on you tube, but not on here.

Phil Thien
10-23-2012, 9:14 AM
That is pretty darn ingenious!

John Fleming
10-23-2012, 6:53 PM
243813243814243815243816No video, but I will put some more pictures up. Hopefully.