PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple where?????Charles Brock Rocker

Carroll Courtney
10-21-2012, 5:21 PM
Guys I want to start on my second Charles Brock rocker this winter and would like to make most of it out of curly maple.My local hardwood place has it but you have to look pretty close to see it,so which bring me to ask the question.Where do you purchase off the internet curly maple,not the 100 board ft stuff but something that can be seen w/the right finish?The seat I'm thinking of making out of maple but apply a strip of curly maple in the back where the spindles will go and overlay the maple headrest w/curly maple and doing the same for the spindles.As you know the seat itself is about 3" thick so can you imagine what that would cost,so thats why using soft maple w/a touch of curly maple.The arms I guess I will have to use solid curly maple which is about 2.5 thick.If you have any design ideals using soft maple w/a touch of curly maple please let me know.Thanks again-----Carroll

Rich Riddle
10-21-2012, 5:28 PM
Carroll,

Around here I go to Hardwood, Lumber, and More in Milford, Ohio. I believe Steve (owner) will ship a small lot of it, but the shipping is at the buyer's expense. He also writes as a finishing editor for a magazine and knows a lot about finishes. As a second source, I use Paxton's, but not often. Rockler and others are out of the question.

Kent A Bathurst
10-21-2012, 5:30 PM
Some very, VERY, nice stuff at Maple Leaf Hardwoods - curlymaple-dot-com. I've gotten curly maple from him a few times, and some curly cherry once. This is the "stunning grain" end of the scale - you pay what you get for type of thing.

Paul is a very accessible guy. His stuff is exactly what he says it is. He is happy to talk to you to be sure about your requirements and the details of any particular items.

Jimmy Horrocks
10-21-2012, 6:20 PM
www.woodfinder.com

Carl Beckett
10-21-2012, 8:53 PM
Some very, VERY, nice stuff at Maple Leaf Hardwoods - curlymaple-dot-com. I've gotten curly maple from him a few times, and some curly cherry once. This is the "stunning grain" end of the scale - you pay what you get for type of thing.

Paul is a very accessible guy. His stuff is exactly what he says it is. He is happy to talk to you to be sure about your requirements and the details of any particular items.

I have bought from here, and have been very satisfied with the quality. I didnt even buy the high end stuff, just some of his leftover stock which was very nice.

Robert Chapman
10-21-2012, 9:35 PM
Check with Eric or Boone at www.bellforestproducts.com (http://www.bellforestproducts.com) They are excellent suppliers of Curly and Birdseye maple grown here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Their customer service is excellent and they ship all over the world. Tell them Bob Chapman sent you.

Kent A Bathurst
10-22-2012, 9:50 AM
I have bought from here, and have been very satisfied with the quality. I didnt even buy the high end stuff, just some of his leftover stock which was very nice.

If you wanted to try some of the "Private Stock" [his label for the top stuff] he has everything on a 20 pct discount at the moment.

jerry cousins
10-22-2012, 9:53 AM
try here - http://www.marksmanwood.com/
his stock has always been great
jerry