PDA

View Full Version : The Schwarz has done it again!

jason thigpen
10-21-2012, 1:18 PM
He's provided us with yet another classic book on the arts of woodworking. I just finished reading "Grandpa's Workshop", by Maurice Pommier. It's a children's book that focuses on the relationship between a grandfather and his grandson. With wonderfully accurate illustrations and a great sense of storytelling, this intricate tale of a craftsman's tools and their history kept me entertained from cover to cover. I spent the better part of the morning sitting at my workbench, looking at all of my tools and trying to imagine their life story. Of course, it's not really the first time I've done that!

I also learned a lot. There were quite a few tools that I never knew existed. Now they are illustrated clearly both in use and individually. I actually feel confident using all of the information in this book as an instructional guide. I wouldn't be surprised if this book might someday be in the curriculum of an elementary school wood shop.

My son is 3. He already spends a lot of time with me in the shop. He has a pretty good grasp of all of my handtools and their basic uses. I'm looking forward to using this book in the future as an accessory to what we do in the shop together. It will be a great asset as he learns more about what I do and how it echoes what has been done by craftsmen for centuries.

This book is a must have for any woodworker. It teaches you how to defend yourself against a dragon using mortise chisels. I tried a quick Internet search, that info isn't available. So this book is a valuable resource. Do yourself a favor and purchase it.

Mel Fulks
10-21-2012, 1:39 PM
Thanks Jason. I'm going to find that book. Well, lately we've a stand up comedian quality file buying story,fine guitar playing,and now a good book review. Any exotic dancers out there !

Edward Clarke
10-21-2012, 4:35 PM
I've got the Grandpa's Workshop book on order and it'll probably be here soon. The book that I'm frightened of is the translation of Roubo's work "L'Art du Menuisier". I'm stashing away any spare money that I can already. I want the deluxe version that he calls "crazy expensive" so I expect that this will be in the Lie-Nielsen #51 plane range.

Chuck Nickerson
10-22-2012, 1:49 PM
Edward, I'm in the same boat.

To justify the cost I'll have to make a magnificent Roubo stand to hold it.