PDA

View Full Version : Don't pay the ransom, I escaped............

Michael James
10-21-2012, 12:40 PM
As several of you know, I had a rough yr last yr with family losses. I didn't turn anything for a yr, or even finish a piece I had signed up to enter at another forum. A handful of creekers stayed in touch and were supportive of me regardless if I was turning or not. For these friendships I am very grateful.
Jim Burr was the most relentless in badgering me and taunting me to get "back in the saddle". His last note got me up and in the shop to turn a pen.

Quote: ".... I would be in awe to see you post a pen, bowl, stopper, platter, plate, sawdust, shavings, sandpaper, yellow #2 pencil.... So mr. Burr, this is for you! (thx for the goodies - thats another post)
Pen is a WSII, chrome/brushed with a hunk of Mango from Hawaii. Finish is BLO, shellac and shellac based friction polish rubbed out and waxed. Pen has been in use for a couple of weeks. I'm still a sucker for that soft patina finish.

On vacation in May, I tried to contact a local woodworker on Kawai, and ended up with to nice donations of wood to the desert rat by a couple of woodturners from Honolulu, Oahu. Typically friendly and generous folks, that you creekers have shown me many woodturners are. Big thanks to Robin C., and the mango is from a box from Tom Young.

I doubt that I'll be as busy on the "boards" as I was a couple of yrs ago, but I will drop in from time to time. Regardless, I will be turning.

mj

Steve bellinger
10-21-2012, 1:59 PM
Michael glad to see Jim got ya back in the saddle. Welcome back.

Mike Cruz
10-21-2012, 3:38 PM
Well, Jim got his #2 pencil! And you even threw in a Charleston Chew, to boot. You are a generous man to fill Jim's longings... Oh, and nice pen ;) , and welcome back to the land of the spinning.

Roger Chandler
10-21-2012, 3:48 PM
Welcome back MJ.......good to hear from you again! Blessings as you go forward!

Jim Burr
10-21-2012, 6:23 PM
Well...that's the second great laugh I've had today!! Welcome back bud and cool pen to show it off with!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-21-2012, 6:45 PM
Glad to know things are starting to turn again. I know you had family matters to attend to while in my part of the country this year, but I wish we could have gotten a little time to visit. Hopefully the next time your in my neighborhood we'll get together again.

Michael James
10-21-2012, 8:15 PM
Thanks everybody!

Joe, lil missie has aunts / uncles in Genaseo and area so we will be back that way for sure. I hope the next visit(s) will be social and I will make every effort to get out your way.
Michael

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2012, 9:00 PM
Michael it is great to see ya turning again. Great looking pen to make your start.

Kathy Marshall
10-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Welcome back to turning and the Creek Michael! Look forward to seeing more posts!