PDA

View Full Version : scrapping a car

Lee Alkureishi
10-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Hi all

it's time for my wife's car, a 95 mercury mystique, to go to the scrapper. I haven't scrapped a car before.

I'm planning to remove the battery to use in a SE-rusting e lectrolysis bath for my old tools. I'm also going to remove the steering wheel, as it was my wife's first car and she's attached to it.

Are there any other pieces that are easy/quick to remove before scrapping? I'm thinking in terms of sheet metal, angle iron, stuff that I could use around the shop.

I'm not a metal worker but I like to make the odd thing here and there for my woodworking tools (brackets, mounts, lathe tools etc).

Thanks for your advice,

Lee

Matt Meiser
10-21-2012, 11:09 AM
You won't find much usable metal on a car--everything is sheet metal stamped to a specific shape.

I wouldn't remove that steering wheel if you don't know what you are doing. Iirc it has an airbag.

I wouldn't even save the battery for electrolysis. Use the cash you should get for scrap metal value and buy a cheap charger for electrolysis.

Lee Alkureishi
10-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Ok, thanks for the advice. Might see if the scrapper would be willing to get the SW off for me.

Lee

mickey cassiba
10-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice. Might see if the scrapper would be willing to get the SW off for me.

Lee
Wheel rims make excellent grinder/vise stand bases, hose hangers, etc.

Paul Saffold
10-21-2012, 1:58 PM
The jack is handy for installing cabinets, acting as a 3rd hand to hold and position things, especially in pairs.

Bill Cunningham
10-21-2012, 2:07 PM
If it's got a unused spare tire, or donut They can be sold for a few bucks.. All the spare change laying on the floor under the seats! How much gas is in the tank? Pull the fuses they can always come in handy. Wheel disks? Tail light lenses? Headlight bulbs? All stuff that can be used on other cars, or sold for additional profit.