PDA

View Full Version : The overload light in daily life

Stephen Tashiro
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Places where the overload light comes on in my daily life.

1. No, I don't want to apply for a rewards card. My wallet doesn't have room for another card.

2. No, I don't want to subscribe to another website. And when I set up a new computer, I'm not going to transfer my bookmarks so all the sites that I don't visit much are going to fall by the wayside.

3. No, I don't want to get promotional offers by email

4. No, I don't want to customize my phone. I don't use my phone that much. I never check my voice mail and I've forgotten the pass-number for it anyway.

5. No, I'm not going to unplug the power adapter to save energy. If you want me to save energy, why didn't you put a power switch on the adapter?

Jim Matthews
10-21-2012, 9:06 AM
Here's the one I use; drive when people aren't all on the road.

10 minutes early in the morning.
Wait five minutes until everyone in the school parking lot leaves.

Signed the kids up for "extended care" at the school.
Pickup 90 minutes after the regular day ends - they've done their homework, and run around the playground.

Again avoiding the schoolyard crush (with four other major schools also leaving at the same time) but before rush hour.

"Keep your eye clear, and hit 'em where they ain't." William Keeler

If you become increasingly jealous of time sucks, and don't buy in, your free time is well - yours.

Brian Elfert
10-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Here is a time (and money) saver with school kids. Have them take the school bus if one is offered! I cannot believe the traffic jams at schools these days with parents picking up kids. Some schools have cops directing traffic every school day because older schools were never designed for the volume of cars.

I went to a Catholic school in the mid 80s. There were maybe a dozen school buses and maybe 15 to 20 cars for those who lived too far for the buses. I was at the school recently at dismissal time. It was a complete zoo. So many parents pick up kids these days that they use the church parking lot to park about 100 waiting cars. There is a fleet of perfectly good school buses paid for by taxpayers yet probably 50% of the students get a ride home with mom or dad. (Yes, the school district is required to provide busing for private schools somehow.)