PDA

View Full Version : New member tool gloat

John Fleming
10-20-2012, 9:49 PM
I came across this forum while comparing sliding table saws and eventually decided to join. After comparing many saws and reading a great deal of information about each, i decided upon the K-3 by Hammer. It took about three hours to get everything set up and I am still in the process of fine tuning. It is a definite upgrade from my old Craftsman.... but I guess that would be an understatement. My old saw refused to leave and was converted into a router table. I have really enjoyed reading everyone else's posts and decided to join the forum myself.

Mike Heidrick
10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
LOL on the upgrade - WOW! That was about the largest upgrade I have ever seen. Congrats and Welcome!!

Stephen Cherry
10-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Nice!!!!!!!

Lornie McCullough
10-21-2012, 1:16 AM
I like that you made use of the old table saw for your router table!!!

John Fleming
10-21-2012, 6:28 AM
Thanks, well I wanted to buy my second and "last" saw. I had decided long ago that it was going to be a slider. I had so many sleds for my old saw I knew that to buy a sliding saw was the way to go for me. On the router table, I noticed on CL that they bring very little and I have always liked the cast iron table on it. It took some time to get my home made lift bolted in.

John Fleming
10-21-2012, 6:37 AM
Thanks, well I had probably had six different sleds for my old saw, and I used them all pretty often. I've only had the K3 for three days and I am already really pleased with the decision. I decided to make the old saw into a router table after seeing on CL that the just don't sell for very much.

John Fleming
10-21-2012, 6:40 AM
As you can see its taking me some time and trials to post, hence the double reply.

Paul McGaha
10-21-2012, 8:22 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek John,

Congratulations on the new table saw.

PHM

Rian de Bruyn
10-21-2012, 8:36 AM
NICE !!!!
nice router table

Sam Layton
10-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Welcome to the Creek John.

That is a great looking saw. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sam

John Fleming
10-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks all of you, I had been a lurker for quite some time and have really been impressed with the knowledge base. The lay out and user interface of SMC has been a big reason I like this over some of the other woodworking sights.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
The lay out and user interface of SMC has been a big reason I like this over some of the other woodworking sights.

You hit that one on the head..... Absolutely...

Very nice saw, by the way... And nice job on your use of the old saw :D

Harold Burrell
10-22-2012, 10:54 AM
VERY nice TS, John. And...Welcome to the Creek!

BTW...we expect from the next set of pictures from your shop to see your floor cover in saw dust. ;)

Jim Rimmer
10-22-2012, 1:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I did the same thing with C'man saw when I bought my Grizzly. Did you machine the opening for the plate yourself?

Jeff Monson
10-22-2012, 2:34 PM
Thanks all of you, I had been a lurker for quite some time and have really been impressed with the knowledge base. The lay out and user interface of SMC has been a big reason I like this over some of the other woodworking sights.

Congrats on the nice upgrade John, you will love owning a slider. I also find the layout and the folks here a great attraction.

John Fleming
10-22-2012, 7:23 PM
No Jim, the router is centered in the original saw blade opening. I did drill a one inch hole in the cast iron to be able to raise and lower the router.. Jeff I think I made the right decision just by the little time I've used it.

Joseph Tarantino
10-22-2012, 8:29 PM
hello john and welcome to SMR. nice adaption of the old saw cabinet. any chance for a pic or two of how it's bolted to either the old saw cabinet or CI top?

John Fleming
10-22-2012, 9:23 PM
Joseph, I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow evening. I'm afraid it will be hard to see the way I bolted the lift to the cast iron, but I'll try. Really all I did was bolt 1 1/2 " by 16" hard wood runners to the original cast bolt holes in the underside then bolted my lift to that. My lift is home made, so it is made of wood also. That made it easier to bolt the two together.

Phil Thien
10-22-2012, 9:41 PM
Nice table saw.

And I can tell from your old saw -> router table conversion that you do nice work.

Looking forward to more project posts!

John Fleming
10-23-2012, 7:03 PM
243823243824243825243826243827243828Hopefully these pictures will give you a better idea of how I put the router and lift into the old Craftsman table saw. If there are any particular photos that need explaining, just ask.