PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Gloat...long

Andy London
04-18-2005, 9:34 PM
I ordered the Oneida Gorilla shortly after I read the first post from Jim Becker that Oneida had launched a new unit. I had their 2 h.p. commercial unit last year but never installed it and ended up selling it due to some unexpected expenses.

My son Seth and I left Halifax around 6 last evening (he was ina provincial basketball tournament this weekend, their team won bronz which was great), bound for Calais Maine where I had the unit shipped to, about a 5 hour drive but for the most part it’s all four lane and excellent roads. The U.S. border guard was a great old guy, we chatted a bit and he recommended a good place to stay and an Inn that served an awesome breakfast, he was bang on, on both accounts.

We sat on the front deck this morning around 6 and enjoyed a coffee, it was beautiful and a lot warmer than Halifax, the water front was a stone throw...simply amazing!

We headed over to the UPS warehouse around 7 a.m. and loaded the 5 boxes, the box with the blower motor is 114 pounds but the rest are in the 30 to 50 pound range. I had to unpack the cone, even with a long box on my Ranger, they would not all fit. After some shopping for sports items we headed home and arrived in Halifax around 6:00 this evening.

After a quick cup of Java and supper we headed out to the shop to start putting the unit together, as noted by others this is not a one person job. The blower housing with the motor is well over a hundred pounds and a bit awkward. Seth noticed one thing after the blower housing was mounted to the wall brackets that does concern me, although I haven’t fired it up yet and probably won’t be able to until the weekend.

When he spun the fan by hand, he noticed the steel in the top plate was of varying thickness. It goes from close to 5/16+” thick to 3/16” and it is very noticeable. Perhaps this is done to balance the unit, I guess I will find out when it is turned on. The motor was wired for a different rotation than noted in the Oneida manual, so we switched the wires around. Although it comes with a mag switch, I bought their remote with two transmitters as my young fellow works with me in the shop a lot, on his own projects. Having two units should make life easier.

Now the BIG surprise, it has a Baldor motor. I have read on the forums that they have not started shipping the units with the import motor, to me, the entire unit looks exactly the same as my commercial unit, even the filter looks the same and I can’t imagine requiring heavier metal than what is in this.

I will be running about 20’ of 7” with a couple of branches. The shop is currently piped with 6” snap lock however we moved one section under the shop floor Saturday, we will move the rest from the attic to under the shop floor this coming weekend, something I have always wanted to do. Due to the way it’s worked out, I will box the pipe in using rigid insulation, I was going to buy pipe insulation until I checked the prices, around here it costs twice as much as the pipe. Getting the joints apart due to the metal tape is a real chore however someone sent me a PM and suggested a heat gun, that really helps.

That’s about it, here are a few pictures. This was one super great trip, aside from getting the cyclone, Seth, who has a love of science, gave me a very interesting education!!!

Thanks for looking and I’ll post next week on how it works……but if anyone has any comments on the fan plate, I would be interested in hearing….perhaps I should call Oneida also and see what they say. As for packaging, I would give the guys an A++

Andy

Andy London
04-18-2005, 9:35 PM
This is as far along as we were able to get....for today.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-18-2005, 9:49 PM
Andy, they gave you a huge discount because of that accident with the orange paint! Sounds like you had a good trip and now have a nice collector. Congrats and let us know how it performs.

Jason Tuinstra
04-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Andy, good for you. Sounds like they're going to selling a lot of these units. I'm going to be in the market for a cyclone real soon. This is looking like the one!

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Yellow. Very yellow. Very good buy! Congratulations!! :D

Andy London
04-19-2005, 6:24 AM
Yellow. Very yellow. Very good buy! Congratulations!! :D

You see I have this love affair with Dewalt tools so my subconcious tells me anything yellow has to be good ;)

May have to take a mental health day this week as I doubt I can leave it their until the weekend, especially with the nice weather we are finally having.

Andy

Chris Lee
04-19-2005, 8:06 AM
Andy,

I hope mine comes with the Baldor motor. I am hoping it will ship out sometime late next week. If mine comes with the Baldor I will have to post a pick of me doing a happy dance:eek: . But the way my luck works they will forget to ship the motor! Congratulations.

Chris

Jim Becker
04-19-2005, 8:18 AM
Chris...no worries. The motor comes attached to the blower. So they'd have to forget to ship half the system for you to be missing the motor... ;)

Tyler Howell
04-19-2005, 8:25 AM
Go Andy.

Looks like a real winner Enjoy.:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2005, 8:26 AM
Congrats Andy! Be sure and give us a performance review once you've used it for a while!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 8:42 AM
Congrats Andy and double congrats on getting the Baldor motor. I am sure the import is fine, but the Baldor has got to be better :)

Andy London
04-19-2005, 8:44 AM
Andy,

I hope mine comes with the Baldor motor. I am hoping it will ship out sometime late next week. If mine comes with the Baldor I will have to post a pick of me doing a happy dance:eek: . But the way my luck works they will forget to ship the motor! Congratulations.

Chris

Chris, I read a post on another forum from a guy that also purchased the unit, he asked a lot more questions than I did so this is basically third hand information. He said the Gorilla's will not be ready until May so they are shipping with the commercial Baldor motor, not sure how long that will last as they can't be making money at these prices. Also the word Gorilla is no where on the unit or the boxes so it would lead one to believe they are simply painting existing stock to get a jump on the competition which, to the best of what I have read, have not started shipping yet.

In any event, I am very, very pleased with how it went together, I will fire it up tonight although the pipe will not be run until the weekend...day job is in the way again.

Chris Lee
04-19-2005, 8:56 AM
I just called Oneida and they said my unit should ship actually in the next few days and she said it should have the Baldor or a Leeson since the imports have not arrived yet. So I will be standing on my head with my fingers crossed until then.

Chris

Jim Hill
04-20-2005, 5:27 PM
Andy,

Congratulations on your new cyclone, and thanks! I've been kicking this around too, and the info you've posted was enough to have me teetering on the edge. I have spoken with Linda (who has been terrific answering my questions) at Oneida several times the past few weeks. This morning I placed my order. I can't wait!

Jim

Andy London
04-20-2005, 9:49 PM
Andy,

Congratulations on your new cyclone, and thanks! I've been kicking this around too, and the info you've posted was enough to have me teetering on the edge. I have spoken with Linda (who has been terrific answering my questions) at Oneida several times the past few weeks. This morning I placed my order. I can't wait!

Jim

Great stuff Jim, it is one sweet machine and super quiet and very, very smooth...I can't get over how well balanced it is. I installed the remote tonight and hope to run the new pipe this weekend. I have decided to run a piece of threaded rod on the right side of the blower, up through the ceiling, it sags about 3/4" (left to right) with the wall brackets and this will take some of the stress off, it's a pretty heavy puppy.

The folks at Oneida are nothing short of super to deal with!

Andy London
05-06-2005, 9:07 AM
My unofficial...official review....:)

I’ve had the Gorilla operating in my shop for almost two weeks now and all I can say is this unit really sucks…..and that is a Very good thing. I put together a webpage with a few images of my install and comments on the unit. If you woule like to see it, it’s http://www.picframer.ca/cyclone.htm

The Gorilla is located in a DC room I built, has a 7” main run of about 38 feet, with 6” branches reduced at the tools where necessary. I have three tools that create a lot of fine dust, miter saws (I do picture framing as a business so a lot of dust is generated here), a performax surface sander (almost all of my work is exotics or figured wood) and my son turns a lot at the wood lathe.

The unit easily captures any dust we have created with two gates open. I have now generated 6 bins of shavings and dust so I decided to blow the filter out to see what the air/dust separation was like, I haven’t had a cyclone in the past so I wasn’t sure what to expect, I had less than ½ a teaspoon of talc like dust…..pretty amazing. During this time we spent hours at the big dust generators (sanding/lathe) as I was curious how this all works.

The unit went together like a glove, the instructions are great, very easy to read, understand and follow. I personally opted to not use the mag switch and installed an X10. To me a remote is a huge benefit.

For the past few years I have been using 2 – 2 h.p. delta single stage collectors, they don’t hold a candle to a cyclone. Aside from the cyclone maintaing CFM performance (I found the high efficiency aftermarket bags, as they loaded, my CFM dropped a lot and I was forever cleaning them spreading dust through the shop) and there always seemed to be a small leak, evidence of this was the colored dust on the wall from woods like bloodwood and Padouk.

When I am now sanding, I open a 6” port close to the sanding area and leave the cyclone running, IMO it’s better than running my air filter although I will continue to run both. The air quality in my shop at the moment is like I have never experienced.

I have read a number of comments that appear to be a little off base based on my own experience and feedback from other across the country that have purchased the Gorilla.

Shipping: The unit comes in 5 boxes, via UPS and not on a pallet. It is probably the best packed unit I have purchased, professionally done and it arrived without a scratch. I have a ww buddy in California that also received his without a scratch.

Metal Used: Cyclone Gauge is 16, the motor mounting plate is 11 gauge, I can’t imagine requiring heavier metal and I do have experience working with sheet metal....another hobby:)

Clean Out: There have been comments you have to remove the filter and blow it out, which could place harmful dust into your shop, this is not true, you blow it out with the filter attached to the cyclone, wait a few moments and remove the sealed bottom filter cover, dump the cover and that is basically it.

Shipping: From reading Oneida’s site shipping on the Gorilla costs $138 for points east of the MI river, $188 for points west. In my opinion from receiving equipment shipped UPS makes up in convenience as compared to a Freight delivery.

Availability: I spoke with Oneida yesterday as I have a fellow woodworker who would like to order their Gorilla. They are still sending out units with the Baldor motor. However they will not guarantee that anyone will get the Baldor motor. The Gorilla will have an alternate motor but for the time being they are still substituting and will be for at least a little while. They have the product however Jeffery who handled my order told me they are overwhelmed with orders, which does not surprise me. Jeff did say they are placing more of their resources on Gorilla orders and shipments, best idea is to give them a call, they are excellent folks to deal with, in my experience.

I noticed Oneida added a FAQ page yesterday for folks wanting to know the difference between the commercial unit and the Gorilla, may be worth a read.

Thanks and have a Great Weekend!

Andy

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 9:24 AM
Thanks for your experienced comments, Andy. Looks like a winner!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-06-2005, 9:28 AM
Thanks for your review Andy. The Gorilla will be on my list to place in my new shop. Thanks again!

Rick Schubert
05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I ordered a Gorilla a couple weeks ago and it arrived two days ago with a Baldor motor. I am in the process of installing it and so far I would agree with everything Andy has said.

The packaging and quality of the unit are both AAA. And Heather who I have worked with at Oneida has been great in the ordering process and in answering my questions since delivery.

Good review Andy!

John Renzetti
05-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi Andy, Congrats on the Oneida DC purchase and installation. Very nice review. Oneida has really stepped up to the plate with this DC.
I'd like them to just offer either the Baldor or Leeson motor and forgot about the asian import motors that they may use later. The USA Baldor gives them an edge.
take care,
John

Chris Lee
05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Grizzly just anounced that it was lowering it's price on the 2 hp version of their new Cyclone to $745.00. They say they were able to renegotiate with the manufacturer based on quanity ordering. You would think that everything they ordered was done in large quantities. Somethin smells fishy. This move may very well help them make a name in the Cyclone market, but I hate it when companie bend the truth to make consumers think they are getting some great deal.
Chris

Andy London
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Grizzly just anounced that it was lowering it's price on the 2 hp version of their new Cyclone to $745.00. They say they were able to renegotiate with the manufacturer based on quanity ordering. You would think that everything they ordered was done in large quantities. Somethin smells fishy. This move may very well help them make a name in the Cyclone market, but I hate it when companie bend the truth to make consumers think they are getting some great deal.
Chris

It seems they have changed the price a number of times. I suspect they are getting concerned a little as Oneida really stepped up to the plate and from what I have been told are overwhelmed with orders.....Grizzly's product is still somewhere at sea and every day that goes by means reduced sales.

It also makes me wonder about the quality of the unit, if they can keep dropping the price....I know how that works, profit still has to be there, I would worry about the factory that is putting them together.

Only time will tell and a 3rd party review. I can say however, I would buy the Oneida again in a second even if it did cost a bit more. The level of service I have received from their staff is outstanding and I can't say enough about how pleased I am with the performance compared to what I had.

Andy

Chris Lee
05-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I agree with you Andy. I think Grizzly figured they were going to crush the market with their cheaper product and Oneida put a wrinkle in that plan. I really like my Gorilla as I have just about finished assembly. I finally wired the motor and the mag switch yesterday and hope to get it up on the wall soon.Chris

Mike Monroe
05-06-2005, 1:49 PM
Oneida vs. Grizzly, Grizzly vs. Oneida, it's just good old fashioned free market competition.

Grizzly and Onieda both want your $$; trade negotiations and price drops, with or without a Baldor motor, free ducting service, etc... it's all marketing, and it's all good. Buy what you want and be happy you have choices. God bless America.

Now go enjoy Coke (or a Pepsi if you prefer).

Larry Browning
05-06-2005, 2:41 PM
Everyone,
I just placed my order for the Gorilla yesterday (05/05/05 Man, when will that happen again? I guess next year on June 6th huh) and because of demand, the paper filter that normally ships with the Gorilla is now on back order. So I "had" to upgrade to the polyester filter (+$67) My sales rep, Rich, said he could not guarentee that I would get the Baldor motor, but he also said that it was highly likely that I would. He also told me that the only difference between the 2hp commercial and the Gorilla was the motor and the filter, (and of course the color). So if you upgrade the filter and order it now, you should get the commercial version and save about $200 or more. I am really looking forward to getting this thing installed an running. I am also looking forward to working with them to design the ductwork system. this is going to be great!!!!!!

Larry

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 2:47 PM
Larry, I've been dealing with Rich for a long time...great fellow. He's the one who arranged for my detailed tour of the facility when I picked up my system last year, too.

Chris Lee
05-06-2005, 3:31 PM
I must say that Oneida has been a great company to work with and they offer a solid well manufactured product. And their customer service has been great. Even if I had not received a Baldor motor I would still be completely satisfied. It's nice working with a quality company that sells a quality product. It's funny, the old adage of "Customer Service, Quality or Price.. You can only have two" does not seem to apply in this situation. I definitely think I came out a winner on this deal.

Chris

Jim McCarty
05-06-2005, 3:44 PM
After reading Larry's post, I called Heather at Oneida and asked about my order status. She said that the Gorilla paper filters should be in by mid to end of next week. Figuring that the sooner my unit got built increased my chances of getting the Baldor motor, I had "no choice" but to upgrade to the commercial filter. I think this is probably a good move in the long run. I can't wait.
Everyone,
I just placed my order for the Gorilla yesterday (05/05/05 Man, when will that happen again? I guess next year on June 6th huh) and because of demand, the paper filter that normally ships with the Gorilla is now on back order. So I "had" to upgrade to the polyester filter (+$67) My sales rep, Rich, said he could not guarentee that I would get the Baldor motor, but he also said that it was highly likely that I would. He also told me that the only difference between the 2hp commercial and the Gorilla was the motor and the filter, (and of course the color). So if you upgrade the filter and order it now, you should get the commercial version and save about $200 or more. I am really looking forward to getting this thing installed an running. I am also looking forward to working with them to design the ductwork system. this is going to be great!!!!!!

Larry

Mike Stanton
05-06-2005, 5:09 PM
:D Congrate on the new tool. How much did it cost not counting freight.What size motor? Mike

Frank Pellow
05-06-2005, 5:42 PM
Congratulations Andy! Except for the colour, and the fact that it has the old style mounting brackets, it sure looks like my Oneida 2hp Commercial.

What is the horse power?

Go ahead and make me feal bad. How much less is this unit than the 2hp Commercial?

Frank Pellow
05-06-2005, 5:48 PM
OK, now I feal bad.

Andy, I looked up the thread that you mentioned Jim Becker had started (that thread happened while I was away) and learned how much I could have saved if I had waited.

Karl Laustrup
05-06-2005, 5:53 PM
I know exactly how you feel, Frank. I got mine back in October. I'm just now getting to install it. Well, hopefully in the next week.

I could have bought a plane or two for the difference, but I'm not going to cry over spilt milk.

Or, in this case a WHITE Oneida 2HP commercial. I will post pics of my installation, as I have not seen one done like I am planning.

Karl

Jim McCarty
05-06-2005, 6:05 PM
The Gorilla is $845, the commercial grade filter adds $67, shipping is $188, the total is $1100 even. It would be great if the shipping was in the range of the Grizzly units, but it is what it is. Their packaging is supposed to be first class and UPS doesn't work for free, so it's just a cost you have to swallow to play the game. Jim
:D Congrate on the new tool. How much did it cost not counting freight.What size motor? Mike

Andy London
05-06-2005, 8:44 PM
Congratulations Andy! Except for the colour, and the fact that it has the old style mounting brackets, it sure looks like my Oneida 2hp Commercial.

What is the horse power?

Go ahead and make me feal bad. How much less is this unit than the 2hp Commercial?

Hi Frank, it has the same motor as your commercial unit, Baldor. I like the color actually, it matches my Dewalt tools :D Actually it's in a DC room so I don't see it that often. It's about $500. USD than what you would have paid. I installed a threaded rod up through the ceiling for additional support. I have lots of angle iron and a mig welder should I ever decide to change it, but it works perfect.

Andy

Peter Stahl
05-06-2005, 9:00 PM
Larry, I've been dealing with Rich for a long time...great fellow. He's the one who arranged for my detailed tour of the facility when I picked up my system last year, too.

Hey Jim, where is Onida located. You're in Bucks County right? How long did it take you to get there.

Pete

Jim Becker
05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi Frank, it has the same motor as your commercial unit, Baldor.

The 2hp Commercial Unit that I have has a Leeson motor. So did the 1.5hp component system I previously owned.

Hey Jim, where is Onida located. You're in Bucks County right? How long did it take you to get there.

Yes, I'm in Bucks County outside of Doylestown. When we drove up last February (2004) it took about 5 hours each way as the weather wasn't "perfect". Fred Voorhees rode along and even managed to survive the lack of country tunes in the Tundra... :) It was a long day, but enjoyable, especially because we got a really great tour of the facility including both the manufacturing areas and the competitive testing lab.

Karl Laustrup
05-07-2005, 6:17 AM
The 2hp Commercial Unit that I have has a Leeson motor.

Ditto on mine Jim.

Just wondering why they are using the Baldor, in place of the Chiwanese, on the "Gorilla", if the Leeson is also available? Are they switching from Leeson to Baldor or is one or the other an option?

Frank Pellow
05-07-2005, 7:49 AM
Ditto on mine Jim.

Just wondering why they are using the Baldor, in place of the Chiwanese, on the "Gorilla", if the Leeson is also available? Are they switching from Leeson to Baldor or is one or the other an option?
Jim and Karl, make that three of us with Leeson motors.

Larry Browning
05-07-2005, 8:00 AM
Everyone,
I just received an email notifying me that mine has shipped!!!! I checked the tracking at ups and the estimated delivery date is May 12. I was told that it would probably ship next week sometime. I guess they are catching up over there at Oneida. Now I have to find the time to install that bad boy. I will need to finish my latest project, then rearange the shop layout (I will be seeking the wisdom of the forum with this one) before I can start the install. This is going to take me all summer. :D I will keep you posted.

Larry

Rich Konopka
05-07-2005, 8:14 AM
Thanks for the Update Andy. I noticed that Oneida posted your letter on their website (http://synergy.oneida-air.com/public/docs/BDDocument.asp?Action=View&ID=%7B407D736E-1A3C-4860-845B-07B3E07DE2D4%7D&ReturnTo=BDSearch%2Easp).

Jim Becker
05-07-2005, 9:09 AM
Just wondering why they are using the Baldor, in place of the Chiwanese, on the "Gorilla", if the Leeson is also available?

Everyone makes blanket assumptions based on a name! Baldor, like any other manufacturer has different levels of product. So does Leeson. The Leeson motors they use on the Commercial product are quite expensive in the scheme of things. I can only assume that whatever Baldors they are currently using on the Gorilla provide a little financial room so they can make a reasonable profit on the machines while waiting for the arrival of the motors they spec-ed for the machine. I'm sure there is a reason they chose the motors they did...

As part of my work at the "real job", I have been involved in some new product planning and development in addition to my primary role in technical sales. We are constantly striving to reduce cost; not so much that we can lower a price immediately, but to leave room for future competitive pressure without having to redesign...which is an expensive process. All businesses need to do this and when you have an 8000 lb gor...err...bear...over your shoulder, you need to plan for profitability over the long term.

Jerry Clark
05-07-2005, 9:24 AM
Thanks Andy for your thread -- even if a clycone is not in our budget, I and others enjoyed the information and may now consider one in the future. We all need clean air! :rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
05-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Everyone makes blanket assumptions based on a name! Baldor, like any other manufacturer has different levels of product. So does Leeson. The Leeson motors they use on the Commercial product are quite expensive in the scheme of things. I can only assume that whatever Baldors they are currently using on the Gorilla provide a little financial room so they can make a reasonable profit on the machines while waiting for the arrival of the motors they spec-ed for the machine. I'm sure there is a reason they chose the motors they did...

Thanks Jim.

In my air filled cranial cavity I had not reasoned that Oneida could be using a Baldor, or whatever, for the reasons you specified. Now that it's been "splained" to me, it makes perfect sense.

Karl

Larry Browning
05-07-2005, 9:34 PM

Everyone,
Baldor does make a line of motor that is a little less "industrial" than the others called a commercial motor. They are not quite as heavy duty as some of the other motors. However, the motor that comes on the Gorilla is not one of the commercial motors, it is one of the standard 2 hp industrial motors. This motor has a list price of about $520. Now I am sure that Oneida did not pay that much for this motor, but, I can tell you that it is a 1st quality Baldor motor.
I know this because I work for Baldor, and I looked up the motor in our catalog and asked one of the engineers about it. I do not have access to what our customers pay for motors, but I know that our sales staff can offer some pretty good quantity discounts. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that this is a 1st quality Baldor Industrial motor.

Larry

Andy London
05-08-2005, 6:23 AM
Everyone,
Baldor does make a line of motor that is a little less "industrial" than the others called a commercial motor. They are not quite as heavy duty as some of the other motors. However, the motor that comes on the Gorilla is not one of the commercial motors, it is one of the standard 2 hp industrial motors. This motor has a list price of about $520. Now I am sure that Oneida did not pay that much for this motor, but, I can tell you that it is a 1st quality Baldor motor.
I know this because I work for Baldor, and I looked up the motor in our catalog and asked one of the engineers about it. I do not have access to what our customers pay for motors, but I know that our sales staff can offer some pretty good quantity discounts. Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know that this is a 1st quality Baldor Industrial motor.

Larry

As I mentioned in another thead my Bro in law is a sr engineer with McCain foods, largest food processor in the world so I go to him with anything electrical. He also told me the motor I have is one of Baldor's top line units, he couldn't believe what I paid for this setup, thought it was a steal.

I didn't realize just how many cyclones they use in food processing and what they are used for, very interesting conversation in deed.

That motor on my side of the border lists for just over six hundred bucks....very happy camper I am....now if the weather would just clear up :rolleyes:

Andy

Andy London
05-13-2005, 8:49 PM
Jim and Karl, make that three of us with Leeson motors.
For those following or waiting for a Gorilla, Oneida announced today they are keeping the Baldor motors on future shipments...pretty amazing deal when you consider the list price of these motors on the net is close to $500.00 USD....

http://www.oneida-air.com/news.htm

Jim Becker
05-13-2005, 10:35 PM
For those following or waiting for a Gorilla, Oneida announced today they are keeping the Baldor motors on future shipments...pretty amazing deal when you consider the list price of these motors on the net is close to $500.00 USD....

Sheesh! I spend time on a plane and you beat me to the punch. But one small thing, "my source" says in an email waiting for me when I just got home that it will remain a Baldor on the Gorilla going forward, although not necessarily the same unit...which makes perfect sense to me.