PDA

View Full Version : plane file

Matthew N. Masail
10-20-2012, 3:13 PM
Hi, just wanted to share a handy little tool I just made. I needed something thin and stiff for filing the mouth of wooden planes.

Regular files are too thick, and a ruler with sandpaper is too flexible. So finally I have something to do with the 2mm not so good plane blade that’s been laying around

handle roughed up, with blade a tight fit

glue and finish the handle in 1 operation using CA glue

However.... a overdone flex test caused the handle to split.. so it need a ferrule of some kind. I glued it back with Epoxy but I was not keen on the idea of drilling though a hardened blade, so I decided to use hemp string,
any methods on this will be greatly appreciated.

this is what I did:

file small groves

use the groves to start to strings.
make a loop
go over the loop a few times and then use it to pull the edge of the string back. a drop of CA glue on the edge and done.

Attach PSA sandpaper and use... total work time - 10 minutes not counting the epoxy drying time, it was worth it !

george wilson
10-20-2012, 8:23 PM
Sorry,because your pictures are worse than my photography,I can't tell what you did!!!:)

Matthew N. Masail
10-21-2012, 5:25 AM
yeah.... my camera sucks.. but as far as I know I just don't know how to work it! it's not that bad though !!! :)

george wilson
10-21-2012, 9:02 AM
I re read the post and do see what you did .

jason thigpen
10-21-2012, 11:18 AM
That's not a bad idea! Smoothing the bedding surface of the plane blade has been problematic for me without owning any floats. I'll keep this in mind!

Matthew N. Masail
10-21-2012, 1:11 PM
That's not a bad idea! Smoothing the bedding surface of the plane blade has been problematic for me without owning any floats. I'll keep this in mind!

Thank you! I thought it was a good idea. because a hardened blade is stiff and thin. I'm finding it very useful. we can get crappy blades for 3$ or so..