PDA

View Full Version : Marking titanium and white gold rings with Thermark ?

Hannu Rinne
10-20-2012, 12:42 PM
My customer asks me to mark a few titanium and white gold rings. I haven't never done those and I'm a bit concerned because those are quite expensive (more than 1000€ / piece). Can anyone recommend some suitable settings or is it better refuse to make those ?

Regards,
Hannu

Gary Hair
10-20-2012, 3:40 PM
I have never tried white gold but have done quite a few pieces of titanium. Fortunately for me, my first attempt at titanium was from a shop that had lots of scrap to play with and test settings. I found out pretty quickly that it marks about the same as stainless steel - dark and even. I shy away from any gold because I haven't had any luck with it - probably because I have a 30 watt machine and I don't think it can overcome the heat conductivity of gold. You may have success with 60 watts that I didn't with 30. Usually Cermark/Thermark either works or doesn't, it rarely does any damage to the substrate. Try the titanium using your typical settings for stainless and see how it works. Gold, on the other hand, will need much slower speeds to mark, but again, it probably won't do damage if it doesn't work. Even if it leaves a faint mark you can get that polished out pretty easily. Tell the customer that you want to test it and make sure you have a resource to clean it up in case it doesn't work.

Make sure you are charging enough to make it worth the stress, don't under charge!

Gary

Dan Hintz
10-20-2012, 6:29 PM
If/when you get a good mark on the gold, be aware that it can also be removed quite easily with typical gold polishes. If it won't be touched again, you'll be okay, but the first time it's cleaned...

Scott Weinstein
10-22-2012, 2:18 PM
I have done some Part Marking on thin Ti. I basically vector cut, rather than raster. It leaves me with a sub-surface engraving which covers the spec for my customers next process which is chemical etching. I engrave them naked and do not use any thermark. I run a 60W machine as well. Going into the material may prove better, last longer, and be cheaper than Thermark....

Mike Null
10-22-2012, 2:31 PM
Scott

Do you happen to have any photos you can post?

Bruce Boone
10-22-2012, 7:42 PM
I agree with what's said. I can do good marks on titanium rings, but marks on gold will polish off easily. On mine, I have 120 watts and I blast it with 100% power and 60% speed on raster stuff. I go to the extreme to just below discoloring the material to be sure it's really baked on.

Hannu Rinne
11-02-2012, 4:36 PM
I'm sorry for the late answer !!

Thanks for the tip Gary ! Both rings went quite well. Titanium with settings 1000dpi/100p/20 speed and white gold with 1000dpi/100p/4,6 speed. Goldsmith made a test with the gold ring and she said that the engraving was pretty permanent. Attached is a photo of it (sorry for the poor photo quality, i don't have macro lens). I made the markings with the Thermark tape - for some reason it is much better than spray...?? (darker and stronger). Main problem is the jig for the rings... I have to try to make some kind simple and reliable solution for those...

Best regards,
Hannu

Gary Hair
11-02-2012, 8:34 PM
That turned out nice Hannu! I have a design for a ring jig that would work with the two main types of rotary fixtures. More about that after I work out some details.

Gary