PDA

View Full Version : Large Jointer Needed Near Goshen,OH

Billy Branch
10-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Does anybody have a 12"+ Jointer that I could face joint 2 boards with near Goshen,OH? I only have an 8" Jointer and would really like to use the entire board width for some drawer fronts. I would gladly pay for the time.

Thanks

Rick Fisher
10-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Take the guard off .. make 2 passes ..

Brian Hillyer
10-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Does anybody have a 12"+ Jointer that I could face joint 2 boards with near Goshen,OH? I only have an 8" Jointer and would really like to use the entire board width for some drawer fronts. I would gladly pay for the time.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have a 12" jointer. My question is , is this the Goshen just outside of New Phila?

Phil Thien
10-20-2012, 12:30 PM
How about a planer sled?

http://cgallery.com/jpthien/ps.htm

Billy Branch
10-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Don't think so. Just outside of Cincinnati.

Billy Branch
10-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I tried a planer sled from Fine Woodworking but got a ton of snipe. I may try the one you linked.

Phil Thien
10-20-2012, 4:53 PM
I tried a planer sled from Fine Woodworking but got a ton of snipe. I may try the one you linked.

Sleds do increase snip a tiny bit. The key is to make certain the ends of your board are thoroughly supported on the sled.

Once my board is flat and off the sled, I use the planer to get the 2nd side flat and parallel to the first. Finally, while planing the board to final thickness, I am flipping it over and taking even amounts off each side.

When I'm all done, I have very little snipe.

Just remember to keep the ends of the board well supported while they're on the sled, whichever type of sled you use.