PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity on Purpose

Roger Chandler
10-19-2012, 9:31 PM
I have oodles of small blocks of wood in my shop.....so many in fact that I need to get them used up so I can have room to cut and store some nice sized blanks for bowls and other forms bigger than these smallish cut-off pieces and blocks salvaged from other forms that I just could not throw away and waste them.

I have not turned much lately.....been busy with other responsibilities and also went out archery hunting a couple of afternoons.

This is one of those blocks of maple.....had a crack in it from top to bottom......put some CA glue in it, and it held. This block begged for something very simple and since I have another box demo coming up in January, I thought .......well, why not......

I am letting the first few coats of WTF cure overnight and will sand back an put a few more on this......although I really don't know why! This is just a basic box that this block of wood suited........I almost did not post this one, but since I had not in a while.......well, it is just a plain lidded box, nothing more.

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Great box Roger. I love the simplicity of it. Sometimes I believe simple is better.

Billy Tallant
10-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Looks great Roger! It may be simple but it has a classy look to it.

Michelle Rich
10-20-2012, 6:18 AM
Hi Roger: simple is good too. Keep turning & experimenting & having fun!

Bob Rotche
10-20-2012, 7:07 AM
Nothing at all wrong with plain when it is well done with nice form, clean lines, and nice finish as this one is. Glad you decided to post it!

Roger Chandler
10-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Bernie, Billy, Michelle and Bob........I will have to make a few more showing different stages for the demo.......that means at least three that are not completely turned and finish one of them at the demo itself. I think I might take some of those small blocks and make some birdhouse ornaments........providing I can find enough contrasting wood to make the roofs....makes for a much nicer ornament when the roof contrasts in my opinion.