PDA

View Full Version : Bad Axe sharpening service

Mike Cogswell
10-19-2012, 6:04 PM
Today the mailman delivered two Disston saws that I sent to Mark at the beginning of this month. They are a D-23, 26", 8 ppi x-cut and a D-15 Victory Saw, 26", 12 ppi x-cut. These saws were my father's, purchased around 1952-53, that I'm going to be using to break down stock. Although they were in faily decent shape, they have spent most of their lives living in garages so the etchings are pretty faint, but at least they are free of pitting.

They were pretty dull, even cutting pine was tedious before I sent them off.

Wow. That D-23 just blazes through white oak now! Fast and smooth at the same time. Mark did a great job on both. The D-15, with its finer teeth is a bit slower to cut a 4/4 oak board, but it leaves a smoother cut than I thought I'd ever see from a full size hand saw.

As it happens, while they were away at the saw doctor I scored a brand spanking new, 26" NOS D-23, 11ppi x-cut from the early 50's, so I could compare Mark's tuned 12ppi to a factory 11ppi. The new D-23 cuts well, but the D-15 was both smoother and faster. It even sounds better.

While the postman was delivering my father's saws I was actually talking to Mark on the phone getting the excellent news that he was ready to ship the BadAxe saws I ordered at the beginning of September. As good as the Disstons turned out, I can hardly wait to get my hands on the new ones Mark built.

Mike

Dale Murray
10-19-2012, 6:42 PM
Good to know. I am just beginning the journey into hand saws - all my experience has been with old, dull abused saws. I would like to get something decent without breaking the bank.

Gary Herrmann
10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Mark does a fantastic job sharpening saws. One day, I'm going to buy one of his new saws.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-20-2012, 10:25 AM
For whatever reason, I just find it humorous that without the capitalization, the thread title would read as an axe sharpening service you weren't happy with, rather than a saw sharpening service you were happy with.

Chris Griggs
10-20-2012, 10:34 AM
For whatever reason, I just find it humorous that without the capitalization, the thread title would read as an axe sharpening service you weren't happy with, rather than a saw sharpening service you were happy with.

Hilarious! Just spit out my coffee!!!!

Mike Cogswell
10-20-2012, 11:14 AM

LOL. Now that was funny!

I see from your sig that you've read Matt's book. Have taken one of his classes yet? I took one and it was great.

Richard Jones
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM

I thought the same thing.................

Adam Cruea
10-20-2012, 6:22 PM
You will not be displeased with Mark's saws, I can tell you that.

I bought a 16" tenon in rip and a 16" tenon in x-cut, and both cut hickory like it was butter. :O I was truly shocked at how fast those things tore through it with very little downforce.

The only problem I had was that the handle was about 1/16th of an inch too small and hurt my hand when I used them, so I had to ship them back since the handle 1 size up requires new mounting holes in the sawplate. :(

Andrew Pitonyak
10-22-2012, 10:54 AM
... As good as the Disstons turned out, I can hardly wait to get my hands on the new ones Mark built.

I expect that you will really like his saws.... have a couple and I love them both.

I have been thinking about sending him a few saws to sharpen so I appreciate your post...

Mike Cogswell
10-22-2012, 5:55 PM
I expect that you will really like his saws.... have a couple and I love them both.

I have been thinking about sending him a few saws to sharpen so I appreciate your post...

I was using the Disstons today. They really do work well. I'll be much more inclined to reach for one of them than the DeWalt miter saw now that I have a good, fast-cutting handsaw to use. While I was down in the shop, the BBT dropped my two new Bad Axe saws off on the porch.

GLOAT! They are SOOO pretty. I'll post some photos and a report after I've had a chance to make some cuts.

Mike