PDA

View Full Version : Did a product evaluation, Sorry it's long

Dick Parr
04-18-2005, 7:20 PM
A number of months ago while surfing the web for used tools (lathes), I came across a site (Redmond & Son, Inc. Redmond Machinery) that had new and used tools. There was also a place to sign up to do product reviews when new products were coming out. So I signed up, not thinking I would here anything and forgot all about it.

Well ladies and gentlemen last Thursday the man in brown stops by and hands me a package from Redmond Machinery. :D What they sent was a "Saw-Jaw" blade changing and storage tool. Never heard of it before.

First let me say I have nothing to gain from doing the evaluation except that I got to keep the Saw-Jaw. I have no other interest in this tool and or company. I am sorry this is long but I am excited that I have a tool that works and it was delivered to me without asking, and I will continue to use it. I think this tool can help others with the same problem I have.

Well most of ya know that I have 5 different types of arthritis's and other stuff wrong with me, so I was surprised with this new tool that it was just perfect for me to try out. I have tried a number of those other plastic tools to remove table saw blades with, along with using pieces of wood jammed into the teeth of the blade and I am always cutting myself whenever I change a blade if I can at all. There was one that worked for a little while, that fit over the blade and you would have to grab it hard while you try to loosen the nut on the saw. But with the arthritis getting worse, that didn't work anymore so I haven't changed the blade on my saw for over a year. I never would change it when I should to make the correct cuts, because it was so hard and painful to do all the time and I would end up cutting myself trying.

Well that problem is solved now. This Saw-Jaw slips around the blade (it opens up) and you just grab the handle which ratchets and holds the blade and arbor in place while you loosen the nut. It is not in the way of the nut or blade stabilizer washer since there is an opening for them in the tool. Once the nut is loose you take it and the stabilizer off and then the blade slips right off while still locked in the tool. :D There was no strain at all in my hand. When ya want to put a new blade on just slip it in the tool, tighten the handle and lower it down the opening of the saw and slip it on the arbor and you are done except to put the stabilizer washer and nut back on. Release the handle and you are done. And I didn't cut my hands while using it either, which is a first. :mrgreen:

Not bad for a retail price of $16.95. I paid more then that for other gadgets that didn't work near was well. You can look at it at this link.

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/saw-jaw.htm

The only thing that caused a problem at first was that I have a Beismeyer splitter installed on my left-hand tilt Grizzly cabinet saw. At first I didn't think the tool worked or would go around the blade, but once I saw what was in the way I was able to get the Saw-Jaw on and off. If you don't have a splitter installed behind the saw blade or it is a factory installed one coming off the rear of the saw then you won't have any problem at all with it, you should have lots of room. Now that I know it is there, it just takes an extra second or two to get it on the blade right so the handle will close around it and lock it in the Saw-Jaw.

Like I said in the beginning, I have nothing to gain from this tool evaluation I did. I am just passing on what I think is information on a very good tool that can help a lot of people with the same problem I have been having for years. Unless you have arthritis, you don’t know what it is like to try to change a saw blade and then can’t do it.

Sorry I am long winded on this.

Steve Clardy
04-18-2005, 7:46 PM
Good review Dick.
I signed up with those people well over a year ago. Haven't heard squat yet. ??
Steve

John Shuk
04-18-2005, 7:52 PM
Good review Dick.
Free tools are cool! I too signed up but it is great that at least I know of somebody who made out.
John

Brian Hale
04-18-2005, 8:15 PM
Thanks for the review Dick!!

I'd seen those before but thought it was just something else to clutter up my already small shop. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

Brian

Glenn Clabo
04-18-2005, 8:19 PM
Thanks Dick...
Arthur is starting to take a bite out of me also...so your review is timely and well done. I guess I'll throw the Block-Oh-Wood Super DUper Blade Holder away and order one of these here.

Bruce Page
04-18-2005, 9:25 PM
Great review Dick. I wish the sawjaw was around when I had my old Craftsman.

Ernie Hobbs
04-18-2005, 9:31 PM
Small world- Redmond sent me one too. I haven't tried it out yet but, I intend to sometime this week. Hopefully I can get a few minutes in the shop.

I'll let you know what I think of it. I don't really change my blades that often so maybe it isn't the perfect product for me. However, when I have to, I can see how it might be useful.

John Miliunas
04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Great review, Dick! I've had my eye on one of those and may indeed give it a whirl now that it turns out to be the real deal!:) I've got enough problems with my hands without worrying about scraped knuckles, too, so this item may fit the bill to resolve BOTH issues! Thanks!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Great review, Dick. That looks like a very nice product and will work much better than that orange plastic thing that is out there as well as the "jam the block of wood into the teeth" method. That said, most saws that are copies of the Delta UniSaw or their contractors' style saw will accomodate two wrenches, even though they often only supply one. Just look at the arbor on the back-side of the blade to see if the flats are there to engage the open end of the saw's wrench. If so, pick up a second wrench. This gives you a very positive grip when removing the blade arbor nut.

BTW, the nut should only be tightened "lightly"...there is no need or reason to crank it down as the rotation of the blade will actually make it get a little tighter in use. Excessive tightening is not good for the blade nor is it good for your arms and hands. Trying to break free an overtight nut can cause your hands to slip and "engage" those nice smiling, sharp teeth... ;)

John M. Cioffi
04-19-2005, 6:56 AM
Hi Dick,

Great review. Hey! Isn't it great that out of all the things the co. could have sent you, you got the one thing that you actually needed more than anything. Great score!!:)
Glad to hear it made a world of difference for you.
Enjoy,
John

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 8:39 AM
I have an arbor lock, but will keep this in mind if I ever get to upgrade my saw! :)

Dan Stuewe
04-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the review. One other thing that I think this product could be helpfull with is storing blades. Keep two around...one for the blade on the saw and keep your crosscut (or whatever) blade stored in the other and you'll never have to touch the blade.

Jay Knepper
04-19-2005, 4:37 PM
Thanks for the review Dick!!

I'd seen those before but thought it was just something else to clutter up my already small shop. Perhaps I'll give it a go.

Brian

My sentiments exactly. I must be at least the third Creeker to get one of these to review. My first thought was that this thing would never pay for its shop space. But I was wrong. It locks the blade for removing the arbor nut, makes it safer and easier to remove and reinstall the blade, and protects the blade while using the specialty blade.

Rob Blaustein
04-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Just got the May '05 Lee Valley mini-catalog and they also sell the Saw-Jaw. It's $14.95. Oh no, that means I will likely feel compelled to order several other items as well--please tell me I am not alone in that pathologic feeling that I must amoratize the cost of shipping by adding more items to the order.

OK, has anyone here ever used the Kreg drawer slide mounting tool (for $27.50). I'm planning to build a bunch of cabinets, and was wondering if this might come in handy. I know, I know, I can probably make a jig for a few dollars, but Kreg stuff seems quite good in general so maybe this is a winner.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the Bench Dog orange plastic gizmo hard to use. The blade seems to slip out easily unless I apply an "Arnold-like" grip.