View Full Version : Wall corner/Refridgerator Door Handle Collision Avoidance System?

Matt Meiser
10-19-2012, 3:11 PM
I managed to set the fridge distance PERFECTLY from a wall corner so that the door handle hits the wall if someone flings it open. Probably better that way than if it had been 2" closer or further and the door itself hit the wall corner. I'm looking for something, preferable unobtrusive, that I could put where they meet. What I've got envisioned is a clear soft piece that wraps the corner but I haven't been able to find anything. Mostly what I find is either heavy duty corner protectors for commercial spaces or soft protectors for table corners sold for child safety. Anyone have any ideas?

mike holden
10-19-2012, 3:52 PM
Plasti-dip on the door handle? Or bend some metal to attach to the hinge to prevent the door opening that far. Inset a soft surface in the wall where the handle hits. Tape a rubber ball to the door so it hits first. Or learn to live with it.
Seriously, make a piece that will attach to the wall where the contact occurs and cover that with an absorbent material - rubber, padding, etc. Cover with something that goes with the decor such as curtain material. Or learn to live with it.

Jamie Buxton
10-19-2012, 6:26 PM
There are door bumpers intended to prevent regular passage doors from driving their doorknobs through the drywall. They stick out from the wall at ankle level or so, and hit the face of the door. Because they're down near the floor, they're not too obtrusive. Perhaps you can find one that's the correct length for your kitchen. Or perhaps you can start from that idea -- stop the fridge door down at ankle level -- and build something.

For instance, here's a wall-mount doorstop that's 2" long -- http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=276172
That site has many other lengths, if 2" isn't quite what you need.

Sam Murdoch
10-19-2012, 6:54 PM
Here is a web site that might provide a good solution - perhaps this one http://www.anybumper.com/product.php?productID=35&gclid=CO_O6tCVjrMCFU6d4AodmF4A1Q

Myk Rian
10-19-2012, 9:49 PM
We have a couple of those small, (3/8 -1/2") clear plastic/rubber buttons used for plant pots stuck to the wall.
You really don't make much notice of them.