PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaking noise in Oscillating Spindle Sander

Milind Patil
10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I am revisiting this forum after a very long time (as I was away from woodworking due to travelling nature of my job).

I just picked up a used Jet benchtop oscillating spindle sander (JBOS-5) for a very reasonable price on CraigsList. Haven't used it yet, but yesterday after cleaning it, I fired up for a test ride. Everything seems to be working well except I hear a squeaky noise in that oscillating mechanism. Is that normal ? This is the very first spindle sander I have ever bought so don't really know what to expect. And if this noise is not normal, what should I be looking at to fix this ?

Other than that squeaky noise, I am not really seeing any issue. The machine is really quiet, the spindles are perfectly centered. The motor is running smooth with plenty of power. Overall it seems to be a very good machine for $200 that I paid.

Rick Potter
10-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I have a floor model, and it runs in an oil bath. If yours does the same, perhaps the oil is low? In any case, it sounds like it needs a bit of lube somewhere.

Rick Potter

Alan Lightstone
10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Mine doesn't squeak. It's very quiet, actually.

Myk Rian
10-19-2012, 3:22 PM
So, why reply to the thread?

Cary Falk
10-19-2012, 3:32 PM

So, why reply to the thread?

Everything seems to be working well except I hear a squeaky noise in that oscillating mechanism. Is that normal ?

The OP did ask if it was normal. If enough people answer that their's don't squeak, then I would say it is abnormal.

Milind Patil
10-19-2012, 4:13 PM
Thanks for replies guys. It is clear that the squeaky noise is not normal. I also noticed that the noise comes when the spindle is down and disappears when the spindle goes up. So I decided to investigate and opened up the machine, and realized that the squeaky noise is coming from a small gearbox that is located adjacent to the motor shaft. I have neither guts nor enthusiasm for messing up with that gear box, so I guess I am going to leave this alone for time being. If the noise gets worse, I may get my hands into it.

glenn bradley
10-19-2012, 5:05 PM
The OP did ask if it was normal. If enough people answer that their's don't squeak, then I would say it is abnormal.

Made sense to me too.

Keith Westfall
10-19-2012, 10:36 PM
I have neither guts nor enthusiasm for messing up with that gear box, so I guess I am going to leave this alone for time being.

Might want to investigate sooner that later - will probably be cheaper fix now...

Steven Hsieh
10-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I would take it apart and clean and oil it up

Rick Potter
10-19-2012, 11:57 PM
If you don't have an owners manual, google it. It is online. It says part #92 is an oil cap.

Rick Potter