PDA

View Full Version : Which Trimaster is everyone running for resaw?

Larry Fox
10-19-2012, 9:19 AM
Time to replace my trimaster and wondering what everyone is running for resaw on an MM-16. I have one and could just replace it in-kind but I know there are several tooth options in the 1" band and thought I would see what the general preference was for resaw. I bought the blade I am replacing second-hand and not exactly sure what tooth configuration is.

This blade will be used for resaw only and I am looking for the smoothest cut I can get.

If I can bother the group for another related question - where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks in advance for your time.

David Kumm
10-19-2012, 9:37 AM
2+3 varitooth, Industrialblades.com The CT1.3 is cheaper and almost as good. Dave

jerry cousins
10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
i have the same setup - mm16 used just for resawing. several years ago i tried the 1" resaw king from laguna- much better cut - have not gone back
jerry

Tom Scott
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I have the 1" 2/3V Tri-Master on my MM16, and it works great. I don't have anything to compare it to except the sorry one that came with my saw, so the Tri-Master is light years ahead of it.
I bought from bandsawbladesdirect.com and they were very good to work with. They had good pricing at the time, but have not compared lately.

John Lanciani
10-19-2012, 4:28 PM
I use a 1" 2-3 tpi on my MM20. Just the opposite of Jerry above, I tried a Laguna resaw king and went right back to the trimaster. I do a lot of veneer work and I can go right from the saw to the vacuum bag with the results I get from the trimaster. I believe that the key to getting the results that I get from the trimaster are due to the high tension I run; 30,000+ psi for veneer cutting.

Scott T Smith
10-19-2012, 8:52 PM
I routinely use a 30 hp 16" horizontal resaw bandsaw for producing veneer. Initially I used 2-3 Lennox Tri-master carbide tipped bands, with very good results, but I tried some Laguna Resaw Kings at the suggestion of a fellow Creeker.

My first experience with the RK was a disaster, and I almost ruined a very expensive board. The band was diving and not stable at all. After expressing my dissat to Laguna, they had me ship the bands back, and subsequently called me and told me that they were ground wrong and that they had reground them to the proper specs. This was a surprise to me, as the bands originally came from Laguna supposedly from new stock. Perhaps there was a bad batch from the factory....

The resharpened bands are everything that I had hoped for, and then some. Tolerances across the veneer is within a few thousands of an inch, and whereas before I had to sand around .030 per side to clean up the saw marks, now I only have to saw around .015 - .020. Their narrower kerf has also enabled me to yield one additional leaf of veneer from a 5/4 blank.

I've yet to have used the RK's for a significant amount of production (I resawed several thousand sq ft with the original Lennox's), but thus far they are promising.

John, you might want to return your RK's to Laguna for resharpening. Yours might have come from the same bad batch as mine did.

Mike Cutler
10-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I use a Lennox 1" TriMaster. 2-3 Varipitch on an 18" Rikon 10-340.

Rick Fisher
10-20-2012, 2:48 AM
I run a 2-3 as well .. but am going to get a 1.6 when the time is right ..

Stan Smith
01-20-2013, 2:27 PM
I have to say that I'm still using the ct blade that we both got when we got the mm16's. Still works okay, but I haven't done a tension check for a long time. I always detension it when done for the day.

Stan

Robert LaPlaca
01-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Another MM16 user running a Tri-master 1" 2/3 blade.. The Tri-Master has a very smooth cut, cannot comment the cut quality vs something like the CT or the Resaw King.

Just understand going into the purchase of the blade that Lenox does not want the blade resharpened, not saying its not possible, but it's a real hassle finding someone willing to sharpen the band..I think my next resaw blade will be a Resaw King.

Mike Heidrick
01-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I honestly like my Laguna resaw kings better than my trimasters. Thinner kerf. They are super nice. Saw is MM20.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Same 2-3 Trimaster as the others. Actually got mine at the local Linweld welding supply shop for cheaper than I could find it online. Not positive they didn't mess the pricing up, but they said they didn't, so...