PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Tool Sharpening

Brian Gleason
10-18-2012, 4:40 PM
I am in need of a sharpening system for my bowl gouges. I have a high speed bench grinder but an hesitant to use it. I cant seem to find a low cost, low speed bench grinder for sharpening my tools. Any suggestions?

Thanks

John M. Smith
10-18-2012, 4:42 PM
Woodcrafts slow speed bench grinder is a great option. Also highly recomend Oneways Wolverine system for bowl gouges.

Tim Leiter
10-18-2012, 5:00 PM
I use the Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder with Wolverine sharpening system now, but I started with just my high speed 6" grinder. It'll work but I was not any good at freehand sharpening and screwed up the angles on my tools. Don't be afraid to use what you have but just be careful to not to get your tools too hot. When you can, I would suggest a Woodcraft grinder with the white fine grit wheels and the Wolverine system when they have one of their sales if possible, you will like it.

charlie knighton
10-18-2012, 5:17 PM
buy and watch Kirk DeHeer sharpening dvd from craft supplies

covers grinders, sharpening free hand and with wolvering system, jigs, specific tools from gouges, skews, chesils, etc

money well spent

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2012, 9:28 PM
I have the woodcraft SP grinder with the wolverine jig. Gives you consistant sharpening and quickly.

Denny Rice
10-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Not that long ago I purchased a new 8" VS Porter Cable grinder, new AO wheels and attached Wolverine system. Works wonderful

Bob Bergstrom
10-18-2012, 10:08 PM
I am in need of a sharpening system for my bowl gouges. I have a high speed bench grinder but an hesitant to use it. I cant seem to find a low cost, low speed bench grinder for sharpening my tools. Any suggestions?

Thanks

3400 rpm will work fine on high speed steel. a little bluing won't hurt the high speed steel. A clean true wheel is much more important than the speed.

Brian Gleason
10-19-2012, 5:18 AM
Thanks for all the advise. My tools are HSS so if my current grinder will work OK all i need to get is the AO wheels and I should be all set. I picked up the Wolverine grinding system the other day. Thanks again!

Barry Elder
10-19-2012, 7:30 AM
As mentioned in the prior post, you are not ready to go until you have a wheel dresser for dressing the wheels you have on the machine.

Reed Gray
10-19-2012, 12:00 PM
You should check out the CBN wheels from D Way tools. Best wheels by far. A bit more expensive, but they are already spin balanced, and never need to be trued up or rebalanced, or cleaned. They will also last a life time.

http://www.d-waytools.com/

Optigrind and Cuttermaster are other manufacturers of this type of wheel.

robo hippy