PDA

View Full Version : Big project for a newbie

evonation
04-18-2005, 5:02 PM
Hi Guys

recently my uncle cut down his huge oak tree, its been cut into four logs, each 20-30 feet long, and at least 2 feet wide. Now what are our options for this wood, keeping in mind that logs are straight. Is there a place that would make wood floring or some building colums or something. Somebody please give us few ideas, and sorry for this uneducated question.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Dennis McDonaugh
04-18-2005, 5:04 PM
Hey Pete, welcome to Sawmill creek. Where are you located? That information would help get you a good answer.

Martin Shupe
04-18-2005, 5:04 PM
Pete, find the Woodmizer web site. I think it is woodmizer.com.

There should be a locator service, or an 800 number you can call. Find someone with a woodmizer, and have them saw it into whatever you would like. Some will do it by shares, some will charge you an hourly rate.

Then research how to stack, sticker and dry it.

Good luck.

evonation
04-18-2005, 5:06 PM
Hey Pete, welcome to Sawmill creek. Where are you located? That information would help get you a good answer.

hi
im 30 min north of chicago

hi Martin, it might sound stupid but is it worth it, I mean after they cut it in whatever shape I want, will i save money or will the whole process cost me more then if i just bought it.

Brad Smith
04-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Your cost for sawing should be in the 30 cent a bdft area. Air drying is free but takes time to stack correctly. Kiln drying would run in the 50 cent a bdft area. That would give you oak at $.80 a bdft plus your time and labor. Pretty good deal if the lumber is quality stuff. Quarter saw the butt log and you're sawing cost will be higher but your savings over store bought will be greater as well.

Remember though that you will get log run lumber, meaning good, bad and ugly. If the logs are sweethearts going in, you'll get great lumber. If they are knotty and gnarled, you'll get poor lumber.

By processing your log by yourself, you are cutting out the cost of what the land owner was paid for the log, what the logger made, what the log trucker made, what the distributor made and what the retailer made. The big question mark here would be what is the quality of your logs.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-19-2005, 8:33 AM
Hello and welcome to the creek!

You should be able to turn these logs into either lumber or flooring. Either way I think the first step is to get it milled into boards. Once the boards are dry then you can have it milled into flooring.

Ken Salisbury
04-19-2005, 1:57 PM
In order to be a boni fide member of Saw Mill Creek theTerms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) require you to use a real first and last name. Please send Jackie Outten a private message (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Scott Loven
04-19-2005, 2:33 PM
Are you a woodworker? Do you have some other need for this wood? I had a tree that went down in my yard cut up for $.15/bf.
Scott

Jim Dannels
04-19-2005, 3:08 PM
I recently did a Google search for sawmills in Iowa.
Got a Extension office list of all active sawmills in Iowa.
found 4 within a county of me, including one with a mobile mill that would come to your site and process the lumber to save you trucking.
You may be surprized to find several very near you?