PDA

View Full Version : Venting cyclone outdoors--vent cover?

John Stevens
10-18-2012, 8:07 AM
I'm in the planning stage of a ducting run to vent a cyclone through the wall of my basement woodshop. The only detail I haven't covered is the end of the duct.

I vent the exhaust from my clothes dryer, and the end of that duct has a nice, neat cover with a grate to keep squirrels and other rodents ( :eek: ) from coming inside. Does anyone here know where I can get a similar cover and grate for a six-inch 24 gauge steel duct?

Regards,

John

Ed Labadie
10-18-2012, 9:40 AM
Heres how I did mine, 8" pvc though. Cut the screen to fit inside the coupling and tapped it on, no glue, it can be removed with patience and a hammer.

Ed

Ole Anderson
10-18-2012, 9:55 AM
I would just do a 45 degree downturn to keep out the rain and cover the end with some 1/2" hardware cloth screen.

Luther Oswalt
10-18-2012, 9:56 AM
Hi John,
Do you have any problems with rain water blowing into the vent?
Leo

Brad Sperr
10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm in the same planning stage as you, John. If you google "6 inch wall cap" you'll find a number of different options. I'm trying to figure out which of the cap options would be the least noisy. Let me know what you decide on.

Dan Friedrichs
10-18-2012, 3:25 PM
I may just be lucky, but mine just has a 45* bend down, and that (alone) has worked fine.

John Cooper2
10-18-2012, 5:09 PM
Just imagine if a squirrel or ?? crawled up that pipe and was relaxing when the cyclone got turned on..............................

Robert Payne
10-18-2012, 7:11 PM
That squirrel would learn real quickly that crawling into the pipe wasn't a good idea! I have my cyclone exhausting through insulated HVAC flex to a shop-built square-to-round that fits ito a standard concrete block vent exiting my crawl space. It already has a screen.

Jeff Fischer
10-18-2012, 7:36 PM
Heres how I did mine, 8" pvc though. Cut the screen to fit inside the coupling and tapped it on, no glue, it can be removed with patience and a hammer.

Ed

I like this idea, but I'm going to use it in the 45 downturn.
I will just use a 1" ring of pipe to hold it in the outer end of the 45.
Thanks for sharing!

Jeff

Michael W. Clark
10-20-2012, 9:06 PM
The traditional way is to cut the pipe at a 45 degree angle (a 45 miter) with the open side facing down. Then install the screen on the face or back in the duct a little ways like Ed did it.

Jim Neeley
10-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Just imagine if a squirrel or ?? crawled up that pipe and was relaxing when the cyclone got turned on..............................

Why do visions of a "squirrel gun", an offshoot of the "potato gun" come to mind?? Hmm...

john taliaferro
10-25-2012, 9:27 AM
I vent outside this time of year in a rural area , but cap it when heating or cooling . I pick up some flow when open . Squirrel gun was funny.

ian maybury
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Whatever the mesh the more open area the better to minimise pressure drop. Best re. rain water to slope the duct downwards a bit towards the outlet - that way it'll drain....

ian

Matt Meiser
10-25-2012, 12:23 PM
A 45 or 90 would be good too to keep out wind-driven rain.

Jim O'Dell
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
If you use 6" exhaust this is what I used. 244469 This replaced the 90 degree transition on my Clear Vue to straight, then there is a metal 8-6-6 wye going to two pieces of flex hose to dampen vibrations. The flex hose hooks to these: 244470 These are 6" vents, just like 4" dryer vents. I got these at Lowes. There is a plastic grid behind the louvers that keeps critters out. Ants and such can still get it, but I haven't seen any. Jim.