PDA

View Full Version : Here’s a woodworking project for ya!

Bob Smalser
04-18-2005, 1:59 PM
http://pics.usauctions.com/items/F_5965_59411.JPG

On Ebay as a salvaged boat... She looks real good for only a couple grand….but…

http://pics.usauctions.com/Items/F_5965_59416.JPG

The stern timbers were smashed as the rudder was hit and the torque of the rudder stock destroyed all.

Golly....only 8 or 9000 manhours that includes cosmetics and replacement of all those weeping galvanized fasteners and you’ll have a nice, ‘round-the-world yacht.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 2:09 PM
Me thinks I'll pass. I wouldn't have it finished in time to retire. Something tells me that my LOML wouldn't like it in the front yard either! :)

Dan Forman
04-18-2005, 3:20 PM
Nothing a little duct tape wouldn't fix. :D

Dan

Bart Leetch
04-18-2005, 3:28 PM
Nothing a little duct tape wouldn't fix. :D

Dan

Ya but how many ducks would you have to tape in there to plug the hole? :eek: Then there is the cheese to go with the quackers.

Richard Wolf
04-18-2005, 4:43 PM
Nice hole!!

Richard

Greg Mann
04-18-2005, 4:49 PM
““Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

I think this one will take more skills than just sharpening.<!-- / sig -->

Bob Smalser
04-18-2005, 5:42 PM
I think this one will take more skills than just sharpening.

One or two.

I don't buy into the "$400k survey value", but it's economically repairable if the keel is intact.

http://pics.usauctions.com/Items/F_5965_59409.JPG

Probably also has some cracked frames from rolling around on her port side after she grounded.

Repairs are straightforward, if massive:

Pull the deck rails and covering boards...pull damaged planks in strategic areas to allow frame access...replace damaged frames beginning at the bow....loosen all planking at the stern for a length of 10-20'....scarf in the length needed for each after replacing stern post, horn timber, futtocks/frames, rudder thwarts, etc.....land the scarfed and new planks into the new stern post and framing....and go back and replace any remaining galvanized fasteners with either new galvanized or bronze.

Then redo the rudder, steering gear, powerplants, plumbing, stabilizers, electrics, hydraulics, tanks (sure hope those ductile iron tanks put into the boat before the deck was installed aren't cracked)...and a thousand or so hours on cosmetics.

$500/mo is way too much to pay for storage so Step One is to rig her for transport to the yard next to your shop. Remove the masts and 5 grand and up to a licensed/bonded yacht transporter with a sufficiently large lowboy...depending.

Depending. ;)

Just avoid exceeding the resale value of all that expensive tropical hardwood, those mechanicals/electrics and various yachty doodads.

Built in (largely woodless) North Germany....lotsa resaleable teak and mahogany in there.

Bryan Nuss
04-18-2005, 5:49 PM
Betcha his Normness wouldn't take more than two episodes!

Would you call this Mission (Impossible) style?

Keith Christopher
04-18-2005, 5:56 PM
Just goes to show you boats are a big hole in the water you throw money into.

JayStPeter
04-18-2005, 6:22 PM
Man, that thing is a maintenance nightmare ... even without the hurricane damage. Sheesh, imagine how long it would take to refinish and paint all that wood. :eek:

Jay - I LIKE to build things, but maintenance is a necessary evil.

Bob Smalser
04-18-2005, 6:42 PM
Not a maintenance nightmare if you live on it ILO a house.

That's what these big trawler yachts were built for.

This one is attractive because it's huge for its 52' length....various port fees are usually charged by the foot and this one likely has more room than a number of 65-footers.

Jim Young
04-18-2005, 7:42 PM
My wife would divorce me if I even considered it.

John Bush
04-18-2005, 8:51 PM
Hi Bob,
The Virginia V (Foss Tugs) is being repaired in Ballard. They were replacing some of the planking and I believe some of the ribs. They are redoing the interior and a friend is working on more conventional WW tasks inside, but has been able to observe the old masters doing the shipwright stuff. He brought me a piece of the 3"x6" Alaskan Yellow cedar they are replanking with and it is amazingly light in weight and indeed is yellow. He invited me to come down and check things out but haven't had the time. I suspect it may even be all repaired by now. When you buy the motorsailer in the pics, call me I'll be glad to help!! Good luck, John.

Mark Singer
04-18-2005, 9:14 PM
That is a ship with a hole in it all right...."Canon to the left of them...Canon to the right of them..Canon in front of them....volley and thunder...stormed at with shot and shell...while horse and hero fell....all that was left of them....left of the six hundred...when will their glory fade? ...oh the charge they made....all the world wondered?":confused:

What is he talking about? Canon? is it a digital camera? A volley ball game? All the world wondered? Nah ! in California...they got wine and start drinkinggg a bit early...real early if you ask me!:confused:

Dennis McDonaugh
04-18-2005, 9:52 PM
Live on it??? I only have one question. Is there enough room for all my tools in there?

Mark J Bachler
04-19-2005, 7:45 AM
It's really sad to see a beauty like that so busted up.