PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Rip-Cut

fRED mCnEILL
10-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Has anyone tried the Kreg Rip-cut . I wonder if is is better than a guide.

Regards

Fred

Matt Meiser
10-18-2012, 8:03 AM
To me, it looks like a tool for the "I saw them do this on HGTV" crowd than serious woodworkers. Even if it works exactly as advertised (and the skeptic in me doesn't see much today that does), its only as good as the edge you are using as a guide.

Tom Ewell
10-19-2012, 9:36 AM
I've used a similar jig on site for roughing in staircases.

Couldn't use heavy machines for lack of power other than generator

The jig had the benefit of wider range of settings over a standard guide and is more stable.

A rail is good for similar but this type of jig allows for faster repetitve cuts and unlimited rip lengths.

My jig has been replaced by a Festool setup but I still keep it behind the seat of my truck for occasional use.

Darren Ford
10-24-2012, 7:50 PM
Anyone know if this will fit small saws? I have a Makita 12v 3-3/8" that I would like to use with this.

Tom Ewell
10-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Not sure but if you have a local Lowes I've seen them in stock.

fRED mCnEILL
10-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, I decided, for 30 bucks I would give it a try so I bought one. Haven't used it yet but I did assemble it and I'm sure it would ift the 12 V makita.

Darren Ford
10-26-2012, 7:10 PM
Thank you Tom and Fred, good info.

Darren Ford
10-27-2012, 4:15 PM
I picked one up today, unfortunately it does not fix the 12v Makita. It's not the small width of the Makita base that's the problem, its the thickness, or I should say, the lack of. The angle adjustment tightening bolt of the Makita gets in the way of the Kreg hold down. There just isn't enough room on the Makita to clamp on.

edit: I will also say there was way more flimsy plastic on the jig than I expected.