PDA

View Full Version : Is this new?

Mike Null
10-17-2012, 12:47 PM
I just came across this site and am curious to know if anybody has tried them or know of their product.

http://www.lasermgroup.com/shop/

AL Ursich
10-17-2012, 1:12 PM
Engraving Etc has a post about it stating yesterday.

AL

Martin Boekers
10-17-2012, 1:42 PM
Finally one that looks like a real business!!! Not only that but they have a handfull of products in the inks and
colorants industry :) I seached the address and it looks like it's manufactured here.

http://www.centchem.com/centchem.html

Mark Sipes
10-17-2012, 3:07 PM
Don't you remember this powder from July.........

Subject: cermark competitor

Looks like colorlaserproduction got bought out and by http://lasermgroup.com/ (http://lasermgroup.com/)

.............. 52 posts of disappointment

Martin Boekers
10-17-2012, 3:41 PM
Mark, I had to check out the past posts again. The address is linked to a chemical company the specializes in inks
and colorations. I felt more cofortable with it being linked to a business and not a basement. ;) I talked with one of
the partners and it sounded like he was versed in the product. Looks like the past post was dissed for photography rather then a bad experience with the product. It looks like the photos are better this time around.
Time will tell as we see some results. At least it seems there is a viable company with this version and that others are taking notes of producing product for our industry.

Mark Sipes
10-17-2012, 4:19 PM
I do agree the photos look impressive. I'm fairly sure that the last "basement" distributor did not make the product himself.. AND the photos, packaging and marketing was far from achieving any venture capital from "The Sharks" (lol) I tried the samples he sent and the mixing was a pain and the result were even less impressive. But that was the "red" color that was provided.........

I do hope this round will have better reviews from the fourm.

Mike Null
10-18-2012, 8:21 AM
I was suspicious that this might be the same but it does look like they have their act together.

Bruce Volden
10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I see they sell the spray--but I like the 1# tubs so I can "mix" my own consistency! I hope we're not being pushed into a corner here??!!

Bruce

Mark Sipes
10-18-2012, 3:01 PM
Wish the Sample Gallery showed colors applied onto metal..... If anyone buys the red for metal please provide feedback......

Mike Null
10-19-2012, 8:29 AM
I had a good conversation yesterday with Ed Weller who is one of the partners. He assured me that they have tech support on hand at during normal business hours and that their tests show superiority to Cermark in terms of contrast. Ed said all the right things to convince me that this is an above board company that is reliable.

Their products include a wood marking material that I find very interesting. There is a video on their web site http://lasermgroup.com/. They recommend overcoating the wood after it has been lasered. I'll be interested in seeing how that works as I have several applications for it. (I have not tried LazrDark, a competitive product)

The material can be purchased as a powder in a bottle where you add the prescribed amount of denatured alcohol or for a higher price they will pre-mix it for you.

Besides the wood ink product they offer black for metal, and blue, green, white and black for glass/ceramic. I am impressed with the pictures of their results.

I have some material coming next week and I'm particularly interested in the metal product and whether I can use it on aluminum and brass as I have had no success with Cermark on those materials. I will post my results on those metals.

Vicki Rivrud
10-19-2012, 6:51 PM
I also had a length conversation with Ed and asked many questions. I was curious about the wood product. After watching the video I asked him if the wood needed to be sealed or clear coated before the application or if it would bleed into the grain as like some colorfill. He told me the product is made for unvarnished wood. It looks like the consistency of water, brushing on clear. Watch the video!

I've used the LazrDark and you have to seal the wood first. Spray on before lasering and it is a dark brown when lasered. It must be sealed with their sealer for durability yet LaserMark should be sealed for durability simply using wood laquer.

I do alot of tile and bricks and will be interested to see how his product holds up to UV rays and the elements, as well as metal marking stainless steel and qr codes.

I have some product coming next week and am looking forward to trying these new products. I'll post my projects when done.

Ed did explain that due to lack of demand and or dissappointment some of the colors are being discontinued. RED not primary red but is more coppery red and the green is more Forest Green than Kelly or Grass Green.

Here is an example of the Lazr Dark

Vicki

Mike Null
10-20-2012, 8:30 AM
Vicki

Thanks for your input. We'll be looking forward to the results of your tests.

Mike Null
10-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I received my samples yesterday and tried out the wood black this morning. The pictures with my cellphone are lousy but on the whole I thought the product performed as expected. More testing is needed.

It is applied to unfinished wood and because it is a surface finish rather than an engraved finish it can be applied to virtually any kind of wood. After "engraving" (I used 15% power at 70 inches per second on my 45 watt machine) a finish coat of varnish or some type of clear coat is applied to protect the image. There is a small bit of grain showing through but it is minimal. The wood is sanded but otherwise unfinished cherry.

The one on the left has been clear coated. As I have time to experiment more I will post more pictures and will try to use a real camera next time.

Martin Boekers
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Mike, if you talk with Ed again you may see if it would be possible if they could sell the "binder" by itself
and the colors by themself so they could be mixed with the "binder," that way it would be easier to stock
a variety of colors. A bit confusing, but I think you get the point.

Mike Null
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Marty

Actually the way they market it is with each color in its own container. You can buy it as a powder or with the dna added. I chose to add the dna. When you come over you can see what they have done and can try it while you're here. I like their plan and if I can get the results they show on the site I will be sold.

Martin Boekers
10-24-2012, 12:56 PM
The reason I thought for the user to mix the color with the base is that way they may be able to keep colors in lower volumns
as opposed to them having to do full runs of each color that would have limited sales. I would love to see if they could make
it in metallic finishes.

Are you available on the weekend?

Lee Biddle
10-25-2012, 8:41 PM
LazrDark, and Laser Dark are two different but quite similar products, except LazrDark is a bit darker, almost along the lines of flat black spray paint, but Laser Dark is more along the lines of engraved red alder color. Which one have you guys tried, what were your thoughts, and did everyone mean the correct product when they typed it?

-Lee

Vicki Rivrud
10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
I used the wrong product name what I used on the plaque posted was Laser Dark from WI
http://www.laserdark.com/

Suppose to be a dark brown - I had to seal, mask, laser, spray, let dry then seal with finish coat

I have also used LAZERDARC : http://www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-2.HTML
which reminded me of black powder coat - works but too messy for me.

I'm not sure what LazrDark is. Of course i've tried ProColor fill from Laserbits, Stencil paint, Spray paints, oils, calligraphy inks even laser toner.

What I want to try is the clear brush onto the raw wood and then laser - resulting in a crisp dark line . .very little prep, very little cleanup

My product arrived today but I am now waiting on a new tube . . . always something pooh!

Mike Null
10-26-2012, 7:35 AM
Lee

If you are affiliated with LaserDark please indicate that in your signature. Thank you for your post.

Mike Null
10-26-2012, 7:45 AM
As a follow up to my earlier post on using CO2 Wood Mark I want to point out a few things that I found.

1. The product works as advertised.
2. You must use unfinished wood. Because this is a watery consistency material it soaks into the wood darkening it a bit. Because of that you must cover the entire piece of wood with the material. Covering just a portion will result in an ugly two color finish that will not be salable.
3. Because of the characteristics mentioned above I can find no use for this product in my business (I work with finished materials only) but for those who work in unfinished materials and who have difficulty producing adequate contrast this may be the answer.
4. It must be coated (lacquer recommended) or the engraving will come off.

Vicki Rivrud
10-26-2012, 8:30 AM
Good to know as I work mostly with unfinished/raw/rough woods but occassionaly use a clearcoated piece.

After lasering and the wood dried was the unengraved area is still slightly darker? That could be a problem.

Thanks
Vicki

Mike Null
10-26-2012, 8:52 AM
Vicki

Yes, it is noticeably darker.

Martin Boekers
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
It seems if something like this works that the manufacterures out to hook up with a company like JDS and then maybe
JDS can offer a small selection of unfinished plaques or better yet if they could sell them pre-treated.

I have moved to the premiun line of plaques that JDS sells esp Alder as they have a nicer finished and the wood is matched.
I haven't had a complaint on one plaque in the year I switched over. Some plaques that aren't matched vary widely in wood color
as the plaques are glued together.

Mark Sipes
11-01-2012, 7:33 PM
Just want to keep this subject up on the board.... Went to Ferro (CerMark) and they have removed the metal marking pages from their site.. What's Up With That!

Any Test results for the lasergroup products....it's been a while..I thought they had white for metal.......not on site ??

Mike Null
11-02-2012, 6:35 AM
Mark

I have all my samples now and hope to do some testing over the weekend. I have had several conversations with Ed Weller which have been very productive so I'm hoping that all work as shown on the web site.

Steve Clarkson
11-02-2012, 6:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing your results Mike.

I just went to Fero's website.......the Cermark pages are still there.....but that raises two questions.......I thought Fero was pretty diligent about protecting their patents, doesn't this product seem to violate it? Secondly, I know Fero removed some of their colors because they contained cadmium......have you asked if any of these do?

Mike Null
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Steve

This doesn't appear to be anything at all like Cermark except that it will leave a black mark. Patent issues are for somebody else to deal with anyway.

Mike Null
11-12-2012, 12:18 PM
An update. After several conversations with Ed Weller of the LaserM Group I have tested some of the materials.

The CO2 Wood Mark works as advertised. It makes a good black mark on bare wood. It stains the wood darker in unengraved areas so that must be taken into account when using.

The CO2 Black Metal works on aluminum, brass and stainless steel. My own testing has not produced good marks on brass and aluminum but I have high hopes and will continue my tests. The mark on stainless is comparable to Cermark.

I have tested the white color for glass and porcelain with good success. I have included a picture of the mug I used for testing. This material will leave a white mark on clear glass as well. These glass/porcelain colors are not totally opaque but I think they have application for engravers.

With this material it is important not to engrave through the ink so your power settings must be considerably lower than for engraving. The view with multiple images was where I was adjusting my settings.
At the bottom I ran the job with no ink just to check the mark.

I do not have a rotary device for my machine so these are not in perfect focus.