PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy...

Kevin Post
04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
I have a Jet contractor saw. About a year ago, I started coveting a cabinet saw to replace it. I resisted the urge to spend the money and decided what I was using was good enough. Instead of buying a new saw, I upgraded the fence to a Biesemeyer, extended the table and built a cabinet using plans from one Wood magazine (I think).

A few weeks ago, I had a pretty good kickback while using the saw. It knocked the blade way out of alignment. I was able to re-align the blade and start using the saw again. Everything was fine until I tilted the blade to 45 degrees. I felt the saw bind. When I moved it back to 90 degress, the blade was misaligned again by over 1/8".

I called Jet. The guy told me he would fax me some instructions that were not in the manual that would fix things right up. He faxed a photocopy of a magazine article that showed how to clean and lube the saw. Not much help... I messed with the thing for a day and a half but no joy.

I gave up and decided it was time to buy the cabinet saw. Either a Grizzly or a Jet.

I searched around and ended up ordering a Jet 3HP left-tilt with the 50" fence, table and mobile base (708663MBK) from Amazon because they offered free shipping and a $25 discount for $1499. I also had $100 in gift certificates squirrled away from Christmas and other occasions.

The comparable Grizzly G1023SLX was $1295, no mobile base and cost $78 for shipping. Since the Jet matches most of my other machines, I went that direction.

The contractor saw thing continued to eat at me because I *had* to figure out the problem causing the mis-alignment. So, on Friday evening I took it apart. I flipped it upside-down and started checking things out. I found that the front and rear trunnion brackets had become mis-aligned which caused the binding that threw the saw blade out of alignment when I tilted the blade. The problem is fixed and I think the saw is better than it ever was...

Now, my dilema. The new saw has not shipped yet. I think this a test of some sort... :confused: Do I cancel the order for the new saw? Or... Do I pretend that the saw that has always been good enough isn't quite good enough anymore and instruct my kids to take up postions at the end of the street to watch for the truck?

-Kevin

John Miliunas
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Kevin, do not...I repeat: Do NOT miss the opportunity to move up to a cabinet saw! :D In the long run, you'll end up regretting it if you do! Now that the contractor saw is back in prime shape, you'll get more $$$ for it when you sell it!:) :cool:

sascha gast
04-18-2005, 1:03 PM
you already made the decision, never doubt yourself. there will be such a difference in those 2 saws, you'll never go back. just make the contractor saw a dedicated dado blade saw, problem solved.

sascha

Mark Duksta
04-18-2005, 1:29 PM
Go with the cabinet saw. You won't be sorry.

Mark

Ron Huisinga
04-18-2005, 1:48 PM
Go Cabinet and you won't go back!
ex-contractor saw owner.

Zahid Naqvi
04-18-2005, 1:52 PM
Wrong question to the wrong folks. It's like one kid asking another if he should buy a bigger bar of choclate? If you have the money, go for it.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2005, 2:01 PM
I'll stick my neck out and vote no for a hobbyist. I have a nice Delta contractor saw and don't plan to upgrade it. I layed out a long term plan for my wife that includes replacing the last of my entry level machines, but didn't include the saw. I have a good fence system (biesemeyer) and other accessories like an Exactor sliding table, Biesemeyer guard, and a huge outfeed table that have allowed me to do anything I've wanted. Sure it is harder to align, but how often do you need to do that? Now that you know how, it will be even easier. I enclosed the base of my saw, and with a 6" DC connection to the bottom and a small shop vac on the blade guard , very little debris gets loose, so the DC argument is out for me as well.

For the money you've spent, you could buy a Grizzly 8" jointer AND 15" planer, which would be a lot more bang for the buck, IMHO.

Larry Browning
04-18-2005, 2:09 PM
Hey, you already have the money spent. The only thing I would consider is changing the order to a band saw or jointer or planer or all of the above, but Don't just cancel the order!!!! But if it were me, I'd just get the new saw.
You won't be sorry!!!

Kevin Post
04-18-2005, 4:07 PM
Wrong question to the wrong folks. It's like one kid asking another if he should buy a bigger bar of choclate? If you have the money, go for it.

Why do you think I posted the message here? :D I knew I could count on you guys would talk me into a bigger chocolate bar.

I already have a shop full of nice tools including those mentioned in other posts. (15" planer, drum sander, jointer, bandsaw, shaper, moulder, RAS, etc.) The dilema (some of you may recall from another of my posts) is SWMBO and I are building a new house this summer. I wonder if the money conserved by not buying the cabinet saw :eek: would be better spent on house stuff. What is the real advantage to the cabinet saw over the upgraded contractor saw?

-Kevin

Dan Owen
04-18-2005, 4:20 PM
By all means, keep the cabinet saw and sell the contractor. End of dilema.

Dan Owen
04-18-2005, 4:24 PM
Two main answers to your last question. Power and accuracy. Secondary is size and stability.

Alan Marchbanks
04-18-2005, 4:24 PM
You won't be sorry with the Jet cabinet saw.

Cecil Arnold
04-18-2005, 4:31 PM
You will be able to build quicker, better, more accurate, things for the house with the cabinet, go for it.

Richard Wolf
04-18-2005, 4:32 PM
Think of all the great furniture you can build for you new house. Send the kids to the ends of the street.

Richard

Dennis McDonaugh
04-18-2005, 5:08 PM
Kevin, let me pile on. First, don't pay any attention to Matt, I don't know who let him in anyway :D Heck, you've already emotionally spent the money for the new saw. I think changing your mind could cause some severe psychological damage which will take many hours and $$$ to get corrected. $1500 is cheap for preventive medicine.

Tim Morton
04-18-2005, 5:27 PM
I would cancel the saw and stick the money in a 30 money market account, and then put your original saw through the paces for a a month and see who it works out for you. If the saw continues to function properly find somerthing else to spend the money on. Its not like you won't be able to get the same deal in a month. JMO.:cool:

JayStPeter
04-18-2005, 5:46 PM
I had a contractor saw that needed frequent tuning and tweaking. I have no regrets about my decision to upgrade to a cabinet saw. It set back some other purchases, but has been worth it to me.

Jay

Alan See
04-18-2005, 6:14 PM
Kevin, I made do with a benchtop saw for 12 years. After agonizing for a year about replacing it with a cabinet saw, I finally wrote the check. All I can say is, OH MY GOD!! I should have done it 11 years ago. The change in eqiupment has at least doubled my enjoyment of my shop time. Once you get the new saw set up an dialed in, you'll wonder how you ever got by before.

Don't sell your contractor's saw until you build your new house though. The only drawback to a cabinet saw is that they are pretty tough to move around the jobsite. Your upcoming project is what contractor's saws were created for.

Kevin Post
04-18-2005, 7:13 PM
Don't sell your contractor's saw until you build your new house though.

Well... What I have now is not really a contractor's saw in that it isn't terribly portable anymore. I plan to sell it. What do you guys think this is worth?

More Pictures (http://public.fotki.com/sawdust2005/saw/)

Tim Morton
04-18-2005, 8:06 PM
well since its not holding its alighment very well. i think $200 tops;)

Seriously...I think a cabinet saw would be a step DOWN!!!:D

Kevin Post
04-18-2005, 11:16 PM
200 bucks?!? I was thinking I might need to pay someone to haul it away. They usually charge by the pound for this stuff, don't they?

larry merlau
04-20-2005, 1:52 PM
kevin, i would also agree that you would regret not going threw with the order you have out there , but i also feel matt has some strength in his words as wel.l its a decision you must make based on your desires and needs combined and yes you need to look ahead at the future, the house, and your desire to grow in your woodwoorking skills. that all needs to be entered into the equation. i had a similar situtaion and dont regret making the choice for a cabinet saw, the contrator saw is still running and can go to the back yard when needed where a cabinet saw cant. so it can still be of good use for the house upgrade.. that specail light or piece of draprey wont replace a cabinet saw. just another point of veiw

David Dixson
04-20-2005, 3:41 PM
Sell the contractor. It should be worth about half of what you paid for it. I"d keep that nice base and find something else you can put on it, especially if you have the original legs that came with it and the original fence. I'd put those back on and sell the better fence separately. You end up making more money that way.

BTW, do not tell the new buyer you have aftermarket "extras" available. He'll want you to throw them in with the deal you and he have made. Doing this is nice for him, but doesn't help you recoop the money you invested in the contractor saw. Just a tip from someone who's done a lot of reselling of used equipment.

Here's an example:

Lets say you paid $550.00 for the saw when it was new. Then you paid $200.00 for the fence upgrade. You bought three blades for $40.00 each. You built a nice mobile cabinet base, about $100.00 materials and however much of your time at your labor rate.

Not adding in your labor, that's $970.00 you have invested in that machine. If you put the machine alone out for sale (assuming you've cleaned it up and it's in excellent shape) for half of the current resale value ($650.00 divided by two = $325.00), you have given the buyer an excellent value. If you keep the cabinet (I've learned most buyers will likely have a different vision of how they want to use the tool than you did and even if they buy it, will not pay much for your cabinet.) and extra blades (you can use these in your new cabinet saw), you keep that money spent and that labor, so no loss. If you sell the used fence separately for $150.00 (a good deal for anyone seeking to upgrade their fence) that's $475.00 that you've gotten back out of your original investment.

$970.00 - $475.00 = $495.00, then you keep the cabinet and blades, $495.00 - $220.00 = $275.00. The $275.00 is what you paid to use the saw during the period you owned and used it. This is what is actually fair and a good value to both the buyer and seller.

Hope this helps,

Rick Thom
04-20-2005, 9:55 PM
conscience problems!!! Best fess up and tell wife that you didn't want to but SMC guys made you do it. :confused: :) Confession is good for the soul isn't it?

Kevin Post
04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
My dilema was more a matter of resources. I've wanted a cabinet saw for a long time and SWMBO knows it. I simply wonder if it was a smart investment under the circumstances. The bottom line is it doesn't really matter, because I would have bought one eventually.

The new saw shipped today. I can't look back now...

Tim Morton
04-20-2005, 10:52 PM
The new saw shipped today. I can't look back now...

Its always best to let the shipping companies make the hard calls in cases like these:cool:

Congrats!!!!!

Kelly C. Hanna
04-21-2005, 8:54 AM
NO!! Don't cancel the cabinet saw!! I am very happy I insisted on replacing my perfectly good Ridgid 2424. I have a much better saw now. (I bought the Grizzly).

Sell the Jet on ebay for your best return and be happy with the new Jet!!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2005, 9:17 AM
Kevin....this thread did what you wanted...it delayed the decision until the new saw shipped! :rolleyes: :eek: :D Enjoy your new tool! You won't regret it!