PDA

View Full Version : stanley 55 multiplane

bridger berdel
10-17-2012, 12:23 AM
picked up this beastie at an estate sale. not at a you suck price, but I think it was fair. it is almost complete. the main thing I can find missing is the adjustable beading stop, and it's associated setscrew. I don't know if that is an essential part, one that gets used only very rarely or what.... but I don't have one. I see that a similar part exists on the 45- does anybody know if they are interchangeable? anybody here have one for sale?

I'd like to put this gizmo-heavy machine to work. looks like a bit of a learning curve ahead. anybody have any web resources to recommend?
thanks
Bridger

Michael Ray Smith
10-17-2012, 3:13 AM
I've seen only one of those. That was in my visit to the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop of Pawn Stars fame. They had one that they were asking something like $950.00 for. I passed on it.

Ralph Boumenot
10-17-2012, 6:08 AM
Try St James Bay tool. They sell a lot of replacement Stanley parts.

Jim Koepke
10-17-2012, 1:47 PM
picked up this beastie at an estate sale. not at a you suck price, but I think it was fair. it is almost complete. the main thing I can find missing is the adjustable beading stop, and it's associated setscrew. I don't know if that is an essential part, one that gets used only very rarely or what.... but I don't have one. I see that a similar part exists on the 45- does anybody know if they are interchangeable? anybody here have one for sale?

I'd like to put this gizmo-heavy machine to work. looks like a bit of a learning curve ahead. anybody have any web resources to recommend?
thanks
Bridger

The beading stop is interchangeable between the #45 & 55.

It is used when making matched boards (tongue & groove). Running a bead along the exposed edge tends to hide the seam between the boards when they are put together.

It functions as a fence and a stop.

It isn't essential.

Learning to use the Stanley 45 is considered an essential step by many to learning to use the Stanley 55. After making some mouldings with the 55 my desire now is to acquire at least a half set of hollows & rounds.

jtk

David Weaver
10-17-2012, 2:34 PM
I had one at one time, a nice complete plane. I don't know where to get parts because of it.

Had 2 45s also. Eventually the fascination with them wore off and I sold all of them. They do make OK plow planes, but every other function is done better by moulding planes. Far better.

Maybe with the exception of using the slitter (which I didn't do, so I don't know).

Leach's comment is a good one, buy one in good shape and with a box because they're easier to sell. Or something like that.

Mark Dorman
10-17-2012, 9:11 PM
55 manual here if you don't have one. http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/comb-planes/55man.pdf

Brent VanFossen
10-20-2012, 2:12 AM
55 manual here if you don't have one.

Thanks, Mark. I saved that off to verify missing parts on any 55 I might run across in the wild.