PDA

View Full Version : Quake

Brian Libby
10-16-2012, 8:51 PM
We had a 4.5 Earthquake in southern Maine tonight!!!:eek:

Jason Roehl
10-16-2012, 9:03 PM
Congratulations?

(Provided they aren't too destructive, I think quakes and thunderstorms are kinda cool.)

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2012, 9:42 PM
Hope all is OK! I had enough of quakes when living in Alaska and California!

matt stott
10-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Yikes- hope nothing is hurt or broken up there! I felt it just as I walked in the door, home from work. I thought my neighbor was having some sort of party- the rumbling was pretty loud, and I am a hundred or so miles away (boston).

Matt

Greg Peterson
10-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah, a 4.5 will get your attention. Hope it wasn't anymore than a brief rattler.

We had a brief 3.5 last month. Lasted just a few seconds. I find them to be a little disorienting.

Dave Anderson NH
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Although NH supposedly gets 2-4 small quakes per year (mostly under 2.0), this is the first one I have ever felt or heard. There was a rumbling sound from the NE and the house shook for about 6-10 seconds or so. Sue and I were at first not sure of what it was and went to the basement to check to see if the oil burner was hiccuping. When we came back upstairs after finding nothing amiss we both at the same time said, "earthquake". Not a bit of damage, but we are about 70 miles as the crow flies from the epicenter. Actually it was kind of interesting having never felt one before.

Rick Potter
10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Reminds me of a funny scene on a sitcom years ago. Two women are having lunch in a touristy restaurant in Los Angeles. The scene rumbles and rattles a bit, and everyone in the restaurant scatters except the two women. One looks at the other, and says something like "4.0?" The other one nods, and they resume eating.

Rick Potter

Paul Saffold
10-17-2012, 3:28 PM
I got this from a Mainiac this morning.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/644582_10151167842917483_1334885845_n.jpg

David Weaver
10-17-2012, 3:54 PM
Fortunately log houses and the 3 remaining businesses in maine probably fared OK.

The lobster boats probably weren't hurt, though it could've been disastrous for the hundreds of pottery artisans along route 1. Some of the outhouses behind some of the roadside businesses may have shifted and made it harder to hit the hole.

(I hope Reds Eats didn't sustain any damage.)

Kidding aside, we had a shake here last year, the one that was in virginia 100 miles or a little more away. It knocked a few bricks off buildings and caused very minor damage. I sit far off the ground and the building dampened the feel a lot, who knows what it was here 4.0 or something (it was 5.8 in virginia). It gave the sensation that someone was jiggling my office chair, as if someone walked up behind you and put their hand on the backrest and jiggled it around. That was all - maybe 30 seconds of it. 5 or 10 minutes later after guessing what it could've been, I checked the USGS site and saw that there was a fair sized quake in VA. That evening there was interview after interview of every professional local news interviewee (you know the type, no teeth, perhaps a bearded lady, maybe a guy with a hole in his shirt right where his boob is) WAY over-describing what they felt. You'd have thought people were bouncing on the ground trying to dodge hundreds of falling buildings.

But it was more as Dave described it, something puzzling for a minute or two, but awfully subtle.

Bruce Darrow
10-18-2012, 8:39 PM
Ah! Mystery solved. I felt it, and wondered what it was. Thought maybe a large tree had come down nearby.

ray hampton
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
will a 4.0 quake crack the ice on your sidewalks ?
I have felt a number of quakes and prefer the quakes instead of someone car radio turn up so high that I can feel my truck move after I stop

glenn bradley
10-19-2012, 4:53 PM
I got this from a Mainiac this morning.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/644582_10151167842917483_1334885845_n.jpg

Close cousin to the California Hurricane:

When you haven't grown up with the earth in motion several times a year it can be a bit unsettling. We had a pretty good thump when friends were out visiting from Iowa. One of 'em almost ran right into the wall trying to "get away" from it.

Brian Libby
10-21-2012, 5:11 PM
No damages but had a friend who had dishes fall off of shelves.The epicenter was 25 miles from me (the friend was only 10 miles )

David Helm
10-23-2012, 6:36 PM
4.0 is hardly worth mentioning. Around here, if it isn't at least 6.5 it isn't even reported. Remember that the strength of the quake goes up geometrically as the number goes up.