PDA

View Full Version : Late Model Truck (2009 F150) Replacement Shocks?

Matt Meiser
10-16-2012, 6:35 PM
I'm starting to think about replacing the factory shocks on my 2WD 2009F150 which has about 52,000 miles. I'd like something that offers a little more control on the crater-pocked trails we call roads here in Michigan (and northwest Ohio.) Our trusted auto repair shop recommended Monroe Reflex or Monroe Sensatrac. Hard to get anyone to recommend anything but Monroe here in Monroe County, where Monroe was founded in the nearby city of Monroe and where owner Tenneco still employs quite a few people in Monroe Township. They are likely a fine option but I figure I should get some less biased opinions :D

Also, on my truck he is recommending their Quick Struts which come with the spring and upper mount (2009-up F150's use a coil over shock/strut.) He says this is about break-even between the increased part price and decreased labor cost. He said the advantage is that the whole assembly is covered by the warranty.

Lastly, anyone done them themselves on this particular truck? I wouldn't attempt it without the Quick-Struts, but with those maybe all I'd need to pay someone else to do is an alignment.

Joe Pelonio
10-16-2012, 7:11 PM
Actually, I prefer Gabriel but would hate to see you shunned by your neighbors. Seriously, in this order I would recommend:

Rancho 9000

Edelbrock IAS

KYB Gasajust

Matt Meiser
10-16-2012, 8:20 PM
Yeah you don't even want to know what happens if you buy an off brand recliner (Monroe is also home to La-Z-Boy.) :D

I actually had the Edelbrocks on a 99 F150 and really liked them but they don't make them for the 2009-up. Looks like the same might be true for the KYBs.

Myk Rian
10-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I put Sensatraks on my truck, and every vehicle I've owned. They're the middle classed shocks. They are nice.
50,000 miles is when I always replace factory shocks.

Jeff Monson
10-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Matt, I'd agree with Joe on the Rancho 9000's, they are a great shock. I dont think the Monroe Reflex is a bad shock either, we install quite a few of them with no complaints. I'd disagree on the quick strut though. With only 52k on your truck I dont see needing new springs, or mounts. The trade off I see is, if you are able to install the quick strut assembly by yourself, rather than paying a shop to replace just the struts, then it makes sense. The quick strut is very simple to install, but I dont think you will find it in a Rancho product.

Kevin W Johnson
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM
The Rancho shock is Tenneco as well (and likely made by your neighbors), so you won't have to worry about peeing off your neighbors.

Matt Meiser
10-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Yes, that's correct. At least 15 years ago, the 7000 and 9000 were engineered somewhere out west. 5000 were engineered here and weren't much different from the Magnum other than valving and outside.

Is the 9000 going to be a stiff off-road type ride?

Chris Damm
10-17-2012, 8:25 AM
I've always had good luck with Monroe shocks. I've had them on every vechicle I've owned back to my '29 Model AA.

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes, that's correct. At least 15 years ago, the 7000 and 9000 were engineered somewhere out west. 5000 were engineered here and weren't much different from the Magnum other than valving and outside.

Is the 9000 going to be a stiff off-road type ride?

Only when/if you want them to be, they are adjustable with 9 levels of performance/comfort.

Erik Loza
10-22-2012, 9:17 PM
Matt, not sure if Bilstein make shocks for your application but I installed a set of their "Heavy Duty" ones on our 4Runner and couldn't be happier.

Best of luck in your search.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Rich Riddle
10-23-2012, 6:48 PM
My F150 has Monroe and the wife's 1965 Mustang has KYB's all the way around. I am happy with both applications but consider them more middle of the road shocks/struts much like a Goodyear is a middle of the road tire. But in Kentucky we don't get the nasty weather and roads you folks suffer.