PDA

View Full Version : Doh!!!

markus shaffer
04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Someone please tell me the new trend in cabinetry is not only to have toe kicks cut out on your base cabinets, but on wall cabinets as well..

Please......

....I guess this one is going to cost me...

Dan Gill
04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, they're not toe kicks, but the cabinets I removed from my kitchen last year had cutouts in the wall cabinets. There were sliding doors hiding storage for spices and such. It really wasn't a bad idea, but I didn't duplicate it because I got more cubic space inside the cabinets without it.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Dan's suggestion is a good one! Those little cubbies may be well liked by whoever will receive the cabinets...

Sorry to hear of the problems, hopefully you can turn it into a feature :)

Charlie Plesums
04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Someone please tell me the new trend in cabinetry is not only to have toe kicks cut out on your base cabinets, but on wall cabinets as well..

Clever idea, having a set-back at the bottom of the wall cabinets, so tall people have a better view of the countertop.

Roger Myers
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=markus shaffer]Someone please tell me the new trend....QUOTE]
Markus,
all trends are started by somebody, this may be your chance! I suggest you refer to the innovative features as Charlie describes...perhaps Mark Singer can review the concept in the design forum, and the west coast is a bit more accepting of new trends than us stodgy old folks in New England... :)

On the other hand, it does sound like this will end up being a costly lesson... we've all done these types of things...the trick is to only do the once.
Perhaps you can salvage the carcases for narrow width base cabinets..or shop cabinets...
Hope it works out..
Roger

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
In some respects it also does have a slight aesthetic advantage in that the recess helps to hide the floor/cabinet transition without requiring moldings, etc. And you don't need to build a "cutout", per se, if you build the 3-4" base separately, level it independently and then stack your cabinetry on top! That's really an advantage on renovations, especially in older (or poorly built) homes that don't have flat and level surfaces. I had to do my kitchen that way...and I had to custom build the surround for the cabinet depth refrigerator "in-place" because the ceiling sloped and 1" 52" from the wall and the floor went another 1/2" in the same space.

John Renzetti
04-18-2005, 2:40 PM

Please......

....I guess this one is going to cost me...

Hi Marcus, A recess at the base of a wall cabinet can be common, especially if you have a row of several cabinets of the same height. In this case the recess can just be added as one piece or section across the base of the string of wall cabinets. Makes a nice esthetic feature plus gives a place to hide undercabinet lighting. However I have seen wall unit designs where there was no recess. This is more common in wall cabinets that were of varying heights.
For base cabinets, toe kicks or recessed plinths are standard. Here you can just build the various base boxes and either sit them on a preleveled base or use legs that attach to the bases of the cabinets. The plinth facia can be attached to the base leveling legs.
Depending on the design of the cabinets you are building you still maybe able to salvage this.
take care,
John