PDA

View Full Version : wiring help - foot switch to vfd

Lee Alkureishi
10-16-2012, 3:33 PM
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some help with adding in a foot switch to my lathe. Electrical wiring is not my forte!

My lathe is run by a vfd. On the controls for the vfd, I hooked up a spdt (on-off-on) switch to give me forward (left), off (centre), and reverse (right). Left to tight,v the spdt switch terminals are connected to FOR, 12V, and REV on the vfd control terminals.

I'd like to add in a footswitch for on/off, and just use the existing switch to select forward/reverse. I'm thinking it should be possible to wire in an spst on/off switch in series with the existing switch, but I'm not sure how to do that. I bought a foot switch which was set up to be a power switch (plug tool into foot pedal, foot pedal into wall), and would like to modify this for my purpose.

Inside the foot pedal, there is a standard 3-wire power cable coming in. The earth and neutral go directly to the "power out" socket. The black wire goes into one terminal of the switch, and another black wire goes from the other terminal to the"power out" socket.

Can anyone help me figure out what goes where?

I'm thinking I can remove the"power in" wiring, and with the remaining circuit: earth goes to earth on the vfd. both terminals of the spst will get wired in series with the 12v (centre) terminal of the spdt switch - so the spst interrupts power when it is off. This way, I don't need to mess around with the vfd itself.

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Lee

Stephen Cherry
10-16-2012, 4:06 PM
wiring diagram of what you have? What type of drive?

Do you have a continuity tester?

Looks like you just need to wire the switched wire into the run permit for the drive

Halgeir Wold
10-16-2012, 4:28 PM
Just wire the foot switch in series with the 12V from the connection panel to the other existing switch, and you should be fine...

John Lifer
10-16-2012, 8:23 PM
Just wire the foot switch in series with the 12V from the connection panel to the other existing switch, and you should be fine...

As simple as that. don't worry about a ground or neutral, all you want is the black line in and out in order to use the switch to break the line.

Lee Alkureishi
10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Great, thanks.