PDA

View Full Version : Morris Chair - Push Button Recliner Control

Kent A Bathurst
10-16-2012, 1:25 PM
OK - I don't know how to word the question, because I don't know what the gizmo is called.

My parents had a Morris Chair. Recessed in the arm was a wooden button, which was connected to a cable, and depressing that button released some type of locking mechanism for the reclining back.

Push the button, the lock mechanism released, and you could adjust the angle of recline. Instead of getting out of the chair, walking around to the back, and moving the traditional rod/bar behind the back.

Anybody know what this type of gizmo is called? Where to get it? How it works?

The best I have been able to do so far is "bowden cable" but that has not led me to anything related to the locking mechanism, installation [but that should be easy to figure out], etc.

:confused:

Quin Leach
02-24-2013, 1:14 PM
Check out the chair / pictures in this link:
http://www.bargainjohn.com/f267cmorrischair.htm

Text from page:

"F267C Antique Mission Oak Morris Chair - Recliner push button release
This quarater sawn Oak mission Morris Chair has a unique reclining mechanism, with a built in foot rest and storage for your newspaper or magazine. This chair has a round plate on the back that reads and identifies this chair as made by the Royal Chair Company Sturgis, Michigan U.S.A. Royal Easy Chairs "Push the Button - Back Reclines. Notice if metal parts ever break write us for free repairs. (Not sure if they still have extra metal parts in stock!!) Measures 38" Height, 30" wide and inside to inside of the arms 20" width. The seat cushion is 21" Depth. Circa 1910."

Push-button looks to be Ebony, and the pics show the mechanism pretty well.