PDA

View Full Version : 14" shortbed lathe? Does it exist?

Dan Lanicek
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
So I'm looking to buy a second lathe to complement my Jet Mini. What I want is a shortbed lathe (16" - 24") with a 14" swing that uses 1x8 spindle so I can use faceplates and accessories interchangably with the Jet. I cannot find a single lathe that matches this criteria.

I see several shortbed 16" swing lathes but they use 1 1/4 x 8 spindle and most are out of my budget. I see several affordable 14" long bed lathes but my small shop is already cramped and a 40" lathe will not fit.

Does any company make a 14" swing shortbed lathe with a 1x8 spindle?

sascha gast
04-18-2005, 12:59 PM
nope, not that i know. you just described any woodturners dream, an affordable, shortbed lathe with lots of swing. the only option you have is to get a regular 14" lathe, the jet or the harbor freight and cut the bed. weird?? sure, but sometimes that's watchagottado.
i fixed that problem by ordering a stubby 1000, it's actually a short lathe, weighs 850 pounds and can swing 20" over bed, 44" when the bed is pulled out. but trust me, this is pushing my budget, will be my last lathe

sascha

Dan Lanicek
04-18-2005, 1:08 PM
nope, not that i know. you just described any woodturners dream, an affordable, shortbed lathe with lots of swing. the only option you have is to get a regular 14" lathe, the jet or the harbor freight and cut the bed. weird?? sure, but sometimes that's watchagottado.
i fixed that problem by ordering a stubby 1000, it's actually a short lathe, weighs 850 pounds and can swing 20" over bed, 44" when the bed is pulled out. but trust me, this is pushing my budget, will be my last lathe

sascha

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

If Jet would just take their 1442, chop about 18 inches off the bed, and market a 1424, I'd be the first in line to get one. I'd be okay with cutting the bed of $180 HF lathe but would be very apprehensive about hacking up a $800 lathe.

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 1:15 PM
All of the short bed lathes tend to have a larger 1 1/4" x 8 tpi threading on the spindle...for more strength...since they are primarily bowl and vessel lathes and need to handle the weight of larger blanks. What you "could" do is use a spindle adapter on the smaller mini and then "standardize" on 1 1/4" x 8 tpi accessories.

The NOVA and NOVA DVR are "short bed" lathes with 16" swing and the former can be configured fairly reasonable in cost with a DC VS motor.

sascha gast
04-18-2005, 4:58 PM
amen to that

sascha

Harry Pye
04-18-2005, 5:47 PM
How about getting another Jet Mini and have a machine shop make you a riser block. Something similar to what is often used on band saws. You might have to fool around finding a belt to fit properly and you would have limited power. Probably best to save your pennies!